Thursday, August 21, 2014

How We Told

The first thing we did after finding out ourselves was to go to Mass for the Assumption.  There, I nearly broke down, overwhelmed with emotion at bringing my baby up to Holy Communion.  After Mass, we completed our Consecration prayers, and as is tradition, gave a symbol of a "gift" to Mary - we gave her one of the print-outs of our sonogram, and placed our baby, and our pregnancy, into her hands.

We tried to catch our priest after Mass, but he had already left :(

So, we headed off to DH's parents' house, where his mother is home with cancer, recuperating from surgery and preparing for a 2nd round of chemo.  We wanted her to be the first to know.  So, we brought her some paperwork to sign from one of her Drs, and inside the paperwork, we put the sonograms.  


When she opened it, she looked at us in disbelief and asked, "And... what is this...???"  "That's your grandbaby," we responded.




Our plan after that was to stop by my office quickly for a progesterone injection.

In preparation for the weekend, and *possibly* finding out we were pregnant on a Friday, I decided to give my NaPro Dr the head's up that I may be going for labs that Friday, so she could keep an eye out for them over the weekend.  I did this on Thursday, the 14th.  But, I knew I wanted to surprise her, too, since she's been waiting for this for just about as long as we have!  During lunch on Thursday, I quickly jotted down what I could remember about my cycle - how many days of bleeding, days of mucus, and the premenstrual spotting day, etc.  I brought it into the lunch room where she was working and grabbing a quick lunch, and said,



"Would you mind if I picked your brain about this chart?  This is one of my long-time infertility clients.  She wasn't charting at the time, but she went back and wrote down what she could remember."

Dr J said, "Did she take a pregnancy test??"

"No, not yet."

"Well, she needs to!"  and back to her work and lunch, she went.

So, I just quietly turned the chart over,


She jumped up with a yelp, and gave me a big hug, then immediately started to get me ready for a blood draw!  I stammered, well, we kinda want to wait until tomorrow to test... we're still not sure... to which she responded, if you're not pregnant, you can send me back to medical school.  Plus, as she pointed out, getting the blood work done on Thursday would allow us to have the results in hand on Friday, not sooner.  So I went ahead and got labs, but went to a local LabCorp for insurance purposes.

Walking into that LabCorp and seeing the SAME WOMAN who checked me in and drew my blood on more occasions that I'd care to remember was so surreal.  She didn't say anything specific about my blood order, but the entire time she entered it into the system, she had a huge smile on her face.  She asked if I wanted it STAT, if maybe the Dr "forgot" to write that on there.  I just said, "Ya know?  We've waited 8 years.  What's one more day?  No STAT necessary."  (Who am I???)

I sat in that chair, looked out the window with the same old Winnie the Pooh decals stuck on it, and just felt like I was a much different person that the one who had last come into that lab over 4 years before.  A much calmer person.  A much more peaceful person.  It felt wonderful.

After the ultrasound Friday morning, I checked my lab results:

Estradiol            310.6
hCG                 2,059
Progesterone     19.1

Praise the Lord!  All good, just a hair low on the progesterone, hence the injection on Friday afternoon.

(My 2nd results were from Tuesday, 8/19:

Estradiol            460.5
hCG                  11,902
Progesterone      32.8

I took a couple of vaginal suppositories Tue and Wed night to tie me over to the next injection tonight - but can now decrease to 100mg IM.  In all honesty, I'm on a super conservative regimen, right now, and may not even need injections.  I think my Dr's assuming the "take no prisoners" stance with this pregnancy!!)


We got the injection, then headed up to NY to tell me parents and sisters.

Now, since DH has been on hCG, and my family knew about this, and how it was the pregnancy hormone, and how funny it was that DH could pee on a stick and get a positive, but I couldn't, we used that joke to our advantage ;)  We picked up a couple of digital pregnancy tests.  (I knew my poor Dad wouldn't be able to read a regular one with lines.)  When we got to my parents' house, we both used the restroom, and both peed on a stick!!  One of my favorite memories of this whole weekend, actually, was waiting with DH as his pee stick finally registered the word "Pregnant."  OMG, so funny!!  He put his test in his pocket, and I put mine in my purse.

We went into the kitchen where my mom and sister were, and shot the breeze for a while, then, I feigned remembering DH's pregnancy test.

"R, do you have the pee stick on you, still?  The one I made you take today to show my parents?  Yeah, take a look at this, he got a positive test, after all these years, isn't it wonderful??!!"  We laughed as DH showed the test to my Mom, and she just pursed her lips in mild amusement and shook her head.  As the laughter died down, I quickly pulled out my test.

"And, here's mine."


And... my mother didn't believe me.


She thought I was kidding.  Said if it was a joke, she would murder me.  DH said, don't do that, it'll be a double homicide!

And then,


I showed them the video.  When I started listing my symptoms on the video, my Dad said, "Hm.  I must be pregnant."  Hahaha.

Evidently, there will be more installments to this news, because as the emails, comments, FB mssgs, voicemails, and texts come in, I am hearing more and more and more about just how perfectly timed this miracle seems to be.

As I've said before... there are no coincidences in my life.  Only God-incidences.

Praise God, now and forever.

29 comments:

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

I think I'm going to cry at every post for a solid year.

Kat said...

Oh my gosh you two are so tricky! What a fun way to tell people! This is just beautiful Amy, just beautiful.

JoAnna Wahlund said...

so awesome!!!

Endless Strength said...

So fun! and I am so happy for you all. Continued prayers as you go through the pregnancy.

Stephanie Z said...

I am laughing and crying at all the reactions. I'm glad you were able to have fun with telling everyone.

Waiting Hopefully said...

Crying! So, so happy for you!

Thankful said...

Ditto what Kaitlin said. So happy!

Deb said...

So beautiful. Smiling and tearing up at this great news!

MamaHoli said...

SO great! I'm so glad you were able to tell people in fun and special ways...it makes the whole thing more magical (if that's even possible)!!!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Yup...what Kaitlin said!

E said...

Yes a miracle!

WheelbarrowRider said...

Love following this and rejoicing with you!

K said...

Please post everyday. Every hour. :) Things can be pretty dark sometimes, but this...THIS is light. :)

Ania said...

Yay for it finally being your turn to share this news!

A Martha trying to be Mary said...

I continue to stalk your blog and cry every single time I read it. I am so very very happy for you!

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Ok, I read this on my phone hours ago and couldn't watch the videos. So I waited all day to be able to watch them on the computer, thinking they were of your parents finding out! I'm only a little mad that they're not, I really didn't need to cry again today :)

Catholic Mutt said...

I'm really glad that you're spreading all of this out while you tell this story! I am having so much fun reading it, and getting excited for you all over again! :) Not to mention on that timing thing? I really needed something beautiful like this to rejoice over right now!

doctorgianna said...

Great labs! I love the Dr. J story!

All in His Perfect Timing said...

Yes - definite God-incidences!!
I loved how you told your Doc and your parents/MIL!!!

GraceofAdoption said...

this is such good news!! praising God with you and for U.

Anita said...

Am I the only one who's been telling people around me, "TCIE is pregnant! I'm ridiculously happy for someone I've never met!"? All week long. And yes, it was a at of happiness in some otherwise difficult days. Thanks so much for letting us share your happiness.

Anita said...

A ray of happiness.

Annery said...

I just recently found your blog - praying for healthy mama and baby!

Meg @ True, Good and Beautiful said...

Oh I just love it; keep having fun with it! So ecstatically happy for you both!!

reeseyd said...

Oh Amy!!!!!! My heart is so full of happiness for you and your family. I can only imagine the greatest joy you are feeling! What a blessing you are. The blessed has been so blessed!!
Marissa

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for a few years and I was shocked to see your latest posts. I'm so happy for you:)

Hafsa said...

What Kaitlin said!

Mary said...

Oh I am so happy and crying tears of joy for you!! Praying for you and Baby!!

Claudia said...

Congratulations, Amy! I totally cried tears of happiness when I came across your blog and realized it was you. I was a patient of Dr. Beiter in 2011-12. We're back in California. I will continue to pray for you. God bless...