Thursday, July 31, 2014

Next Decorating Endeavor

So, Donna asked me a while ago whatever happened to that chandelier choice for my Rita Room (Dining Room).  Well, like most things in my current life, it fell by the wayside.

BUT, her comment gave me the impetus I needed to really get back my decorating mojo.

I've chosen the 1st option, the more expensive (can't help it, I've got expensive taste) Chesterfield from LIVEX:


Which will look lovely, I am sure :)

I'll be ordering this sometime in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I thought, you know, we need to liven up our Master Bedroom.  Still painted for house sale in a sterile off-white, it is a perfect canvas for my imagination, but makes the room less than desirable.  Time to shake things up!

Welcome to, Operation Master Bedroom Remodel!

Unlike all of my other projects, when the rug purchase came LAST, this time (due to a liquidation sale I didn't want to miss) the rug was the first thing I got.  All I knew at the time was that I wanted the room to be light and airy.  I had no color scheme in mind.

It is described as a "grey-blue-beige," and when I saw it, I knew it was perfect.

From there, I started looking at some paint samples, and was leaning towards a beige, possibly with MILDLY pink-ish undertones for the walls.  (Of course, DH vehemently vetoed pink walls, but what he wouldn't know wouldn't kill him.)

Had pretty much settled on a very neutral, "airy" beige:


This had some more "peach" like undertones, which got me thinking more along the lines of yellow, instead of red (pink)...

which lead me to finding a perfectly yellow-gold curtain panel:


But, I am ALL about the valences, so when I discovered the Soft Gold cascading valence was not available at this time, I moved along to a much more beautiful valence, in a Pure Gold, which will likely be a couple shades darker than the panels, but at this point, I was digging where the design idea was going...


Now, all mixy-matchy and LOVING the soft colors of the room's foundation (walls and floor) with the more vibrant colors coming out in the accent pieces, I moved along to bedding:


(One can never have too many shams on a King-Sized bed.)

After purchasing the bedding, I began to put the whole picture together in my mind.  I could see it unfolding in my mind's eye, light surroundings with bright accents - and I KNEW that I was headed for some crazy patterns somewhere, since the curtains were solid.  I also wanted the curtains to "pop" a bit more, and that's when I changed my mind on the wall color:


YESSSSSS.  Now it was making sense.  A light gray, yellow and blue color scheme was transforming.  What I began to realize was that my subconscious was actually conjuring memories of the amazing Victorian farmhouse renovations from "Sarah's House," in particular, one bedroom that was completely designed around a crazy patterned chair (or pillow?)



And so, next venture was throw pillows/accents:



and, still waiting for the perfect yellow-gold lumbar or neckroll pillow to finish out the bed.

I got SO excited finding the pillows that I then wanted to get some more pops of color and opted for an accent wall, here:

This wall is located directly across from our bed, and it is currently a non-working chimney/fireplace, so it juts out from the wall and has a lovely mantelpiece to play with (gotta love decorating mantels, and this house has, oh, 4 of them).  To the right of this wall is the door into the hallway.

I went back to my previous wall color selection of Harbor Gray, and decided to do this wall in
Coastline, a beautiful compliment to the other walls and the muted blues of the bedding.

And, just for giggles, decided to paint stencils (Victorian Lace) in
York Harbor Yellow on the accent wall.


And, just because no amazing Master is complete without a crazy patterned chair near the window:


and
Teal Blanket to hang over said chair.

Finally, a TBD chandelier and existing Victorian matching floor and table lamps with cascading crystals.  I have my eye on this chandelier:


I like that it's white with some crystals, but not overwhelming in crystals or in size.  I wanted something a little understated, to tie everything together and keep the room "light and airy."

Do we like?

Stay tuned for the next episode of Designing with TCIE, when the project gets underway!



5 comments:

the misfit said...

I love decorating projects, as you know. And I am particularly enthused about this one. Of course I love the color scheme. And oriental rugs. And matelassé coverlets. And fancy chandeliers. However, I am concerned that your stencil is too small. (I just had this problem - I ordered a 12" by 12" stencil for the accent wall in my guest room - long since painted, but of course the post isn't done. You have me beat. I have gotten used to the scale, but what I was really wanting would have translated to about 24" by 24". Of course, you may be picturing something quite different from what I was. May I suggest looking at some wallpaper that you like in its full-room pictures and then figuring out the repeat size, and going from there?)

Excited for future developments!

JellyBelly said...

Can't wait to see how it all turns out!!!!

GraceofAdoption said...

so pretty! We are Hoping to decorate our bedroom soon, and love the ideas and inspiration. Decorating does not come naturally to me, so feel very scared when im looking for things to buy and making decisions. pretty rug.

Donna said...

You have great taste and decorating style. Along with JB, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Stephanie Z said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together!