Friday, April 25, 2014

A Special Time of Year

As most of you are aware by now, this week is Infertility Awareness Week.  And, fittingly, I have been much more aware of my own infertility during this week.  Things that haven't upset me in a long time are upsetting me again, feelings I haven't felt in years came rushing back like a tidal wave.  And, it has made me remember how hard it is to be in the midst of the sorrow of infertility.  While my focus has been elsewhere this past year, infertility and childlessness were never far beneath the surface.

Both DH and I felt a lifting on Easter Sunday - we had experienced, as we have most Lents, a very difficult 40 days of trial and tribulation.  Suddenly at Easter, the burden seemed to melt away - just in time for Infertility Awareness Week.

Is it a surprise that this year, Infertility Awareness (with a Catholic flair), a time to bring attention to an extremely difficult cross to carry, is coming simultaneously with the most joyous season of the liturgical year?  I think, rather, it is a perfect juxtaposition marriage of suffering and joy, hardship and freedom, pain and peace.  For it is only through our cross that we achieve the Resurrection.


Infertility Awareness Week, and the Easter Season, commenced with a bang for us.  I was blessed beyond measure, and impressed once again by God's timing, to receive this glorious image in the mail on Saturday afternoon:


That, right smack in the middle of my kitchen mantelpiece, is an icon of Our Lady, Help in Childbirth, which was passed along to me for my "turn" as it makes its rounds amidst a faithful group of women.  And my turn?  Is Easter... and Infertility Awareness Week... and the lifting of our Lenten burden.
Smiles all over the place, God.  Well played.

But that's not all.

Today, at the end of this beautiful week, I celebrate something else quite special.
Today, April 25th 2014, is the 6th Anniversary of This Cross I Embrace.

I've come a long way since my very first post.  I've written before about the identity of This Cross I Embrace, about resisting the temptation to allow my blog identity to define me, but the truth is, it is my cross in life that brings me to a fuller understanding of my identity as a follower of Christ.  This Cross is in fact one that I Embrace, every single defining part of it, for it is within the cross that I find my salvation.

And that is the only identity I truly need.


Finally, this week will culminate with Divine Mercy Sunday- another very meaningful celebration for our Church, but also for me personally.  I have been saying the Novena, this year, and praying for continued healing and growth, and as always, a fruitful marriage (however God wants to do that).

What a glorious week, indeed!

Thank you for putting up with me for 6 Years, Blogosphere!  I shudder to think of the person I would be without all of you in my life.  God Bless you!

13 comments:

Kat said...

God bless you Amy! Thank you for writing your first post and continuing to write!

MamaHoli said...

God bless, and happy blogiversary!!!

prayerfuljourney said...

You have come a long way...Happy Blogovarsary!!!!

E said...

Gosh, have I known you that long?!?!?! Crazy.

That Icon will help in a way you won't realize. She helped us. :)

E said...

Gosh, have I known you that long?!?!?! Crazy.

That Icon will help in a way you won't realize. She helped us. :)

Stephanie Z said...

Happy Blogoversary!

I am so happy to hear that the icon arrived safely and has already begun to bless you.

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you are here! You are such a blessing in my life. Happy blogoversary!!

Waiting Hopefully said...

Happy blogovarsary! Thank you for sharing your story. It has helped me so much over the last few years. I think you are more fruitful than you realize. I continue to pray for you.

barbie said...

The icon is beautiful!! Happy blogoversary!!!

JellyBelly said...

I am grateful beyond measure for your friendship!!!! Happy bloggoversary!!!

GraceofAdoption said...

Your blog has blessed so many, including me! Glad you have that image this week.

LifeHopes said...

So glad that you experienced a lifting of your burden on Easter.

Love the icon! And Love your mantle!! Wow, so gorgeous! I thought it was out of a magazine!

the misfit said...

It's hard to fathom that it's been that long! (I started my blog in January 2009, and found yours soon afterward - so, maybe five years ago? Unbelievable.)

I hope this season is full of immeasurable blessings for you both.