Friday, March 21, 2014

GAPS Day 1

And so it begins.

Earlier this week, I read some blogs, read some online articles, and found some great Step-by-Step plans for plunging right into the Introduction Diet.

I don't do anything half-assed.  As anyone who has read even one of my older blog posts regarding infertility treatments can tell ya.

So in preparation, I picked up a bunch of winter squash, cooked the spaghetti and acorn squash and scooped it into containers for the freezer, and peeled and cut the butternut squash into large pieces without cooking.  I tried to make each freezer bag equal about one large serving, since I will be doing this diet alone, and don't want to defrost too much at once.

I also made a bunch of stock (not a big deal, since I already make about 2 per week, and drink it every morning).  However, this time I made the stocks bland with no spices or herbs, just black pepper and a little apple cider vinegar to extract the good stuff from the bones.  When I begin making soups with the stock (probably later today or tomorrow), I'll add some veggies in at that point.

I got all of my glass water thermoses out and ready to go to bring to work for sipping during the days, and for boiling for the "ginger tea" (which should really be called ginger hot water, there's nothing tea about it).

I also pulled out my old hot pot from college, so that while at work, I can heat up my "food" (I use the term loosely) without a microwave.

And finally, because I know fermenting veggies at home can take some skill and practice and I wasn't willing to wait until I mastered the art, I bought some fermented saurkraut and beets and cabbage from the health food store.  But, in my near future I'll be trying my hand at homemade recipes.  At least for the beginning, though, I won't have to worry about fermenting the perfect batches during days when I very likely will feel pure butt.

I already have a strong probiotic (not Biokult, but Klaire labs), which I will continue to use daily.
I'm also continuing with my betaine hCL before meals, and my Adrenal Assist supplements from the Naturopath between meals.  In a few days, I'll go back on my other supplements from the Naturopath, but I want to try to go as clean as possible for the most benefit in the first few days.

So far, I'm a bit hungry, but that's only because I stupidly rushed out of the house with only one large thermos of stock.  Luckily, I work short days on Fridays, so I'll be home in a few hours to get some more sustenance.



8 comments:

Kat said...

Wow, it sounds like you have all your bases covered! I really feel like eating healthy and clean is a full time job, especially in the beginning of any new plan/detox. I have just discovered that I like butternut squash but I am scared to buy one and chop it up because those suckers are hard to cut through. Perhaps I will get some new veggies at the farmer's market. I have never made my own stock, perhaps I will try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lucky as Sunshine said...

Thanks for sharing your GAPS journey.

Katie said...

Good luck with GAPS! Our family has been doing it since January. It is a lot of prep but totally worth it.

JellyBelly said...

You're so awesome!!!!

GraceofAdoption said...

Sounds like you have a plan for success, hope it goes well!

DM + AM said...

Why no microwave?

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

Microwaves kill so many good nutrients in our food- I haven't had one for many years, now, I prefer stovetops- but unfortunately no stovetops at work!

LifeHopes said...

I am so impressed!

I love sipping stock:)