Sunday, February 17, 2013

Focus

This was the theme of today's homily, on this First Sunday of Lent.

And I'd be lying if I said mine wasn't lost for a good 3, ok, 5 minutes during it.

I'm trying to work on simplifying. We are in our 2nd week of Meal Planning and Assigned Cooking Days over here, and so far we've learned that for two people, even two people who love to eat, we make way too much food. So this week we are simplifying things and having set "leftovers" nights.

We are also hoping to simplify the house. There is so much clutter and unfinished projects that I'm surprised I'm functioning, quite honestly. I even contacted a Personal Organizer on a whim one night, but it irks me that I should be able to do this myself. Along with the cleaning... but in that regard, I am thisclose to hiring a cleaning lady. I've struggled with the decision because, again, it bothers me- I feel like I should be able to do all of this. But a lot of that perspective is based on my upbringing, with a mother who kept impeccable house... and didn't work outside of it.

So, I'm going to swallow my pride and just do it. Get organized. Get cleaned. STAY organized and clean. When the clutter and mess is under control, I know I will be better able to focus on what is important. With all of these daily distractions, I find myself fixating on what isn't: what isn't getting done, what isn't happening in our lives, what isn't going to be... and that's a nasty spiral.

Focus. Before Lent is through, I'll get there...


9 comments:

JellyBelly said...

Our cleaning lady has saved my sanity and or marriage. Get one. Now.

Organizing is my big project this Lent. I guess great minds think alike!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Oh my gosh, I am organizing, too! Let the cleaning lady go a couple of years ago…. too much stress getting things ready for her to be able to clean, ha ha.

Sew said...

Lady, even if you don't work outside the home, you better be cleaning your house! When I worked outside the home, my house was still clean!

Get yo booty up on the weekends and get to it!

I makes it sound like my home is clean all the time! But what you doing? You don't need no cleaning lady!

Kat said...

yes, getting orgainzed is a running theme for many of us. My goal is to finish some projects that I have neglected for awhile like a painting that I started 3 years ago!

alison said...

Yay! We will hold each other accountable! And I think for me a cleaning lady is a pride thing too. I've said before that's I thinks its a 'waste of money's and I don't want another person in my home...judging me...haha, even though my husband has said on multiple occassions that he does not think that should be my "job". Its the lowest item on the list and easiest to farm out...so you should if you need to! Just once to see if it works for you at least, I don't think you have to commit to it regularly. Anyway, if you do it let me know how it goes!

DM + AM said...

We will take the leftovers :)

barbie said...

Staying organized is hard for me too...

kmab231 said...

I know what you mean about the mother with the perfectly cleaned house! Mine even offers to come help me clean/organize and I feel like you do with the organizing professional, I really should be able to get my act together myself.

I do like the blog Simple Organized Living. Both for little tips and for some motivation!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

I totally hear you! I struggle so much with the cleaning and organization and I, too, feel like I should be about to handle it. Yet somehow, this eludes me and I constantly feel like domestic perfection is just beyond my reach...and yes, I need to do something about the clutter too!