Thursday, January 10, 2013

Special Prayer Idea - Adopt a Childless Blogger! *

We haven't really been much for New Year resolutions in our house. We know all too well that for us, a resolution only reminds us of failure when we are unable to meet it - and really, who needs that?

However, New Year aside, we are enthusiastic about implementing positive changes. As you know, there have been many personal and professional changes going on already, but I'm still craving more...

What I'd like to "resolve" to do this year is concentrate even more on my home life (both working on the renovations, as well as making more time to slow down and meal plan). The first few months on a Paleo diet, I was cooking up a storm in my kitchen. I even had the gall to come on here and tell all of you that it's easy to meal plan, even if you work outside of the home. Well, as it turns out, it does require a little more diligence than my energy levels could handle.

But, no more laziness. No more excuses. As a Christmas gift to DH, I bought him 5 pretty awesome books to start his Nutrition Library (and, ahem, I also personally wanted to read them!):

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, by Weston A. Price

Know Your Fats, by Mary G. Enig

Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon

Real Food, by Nina Planck

Real Food for Mother and Baby, by Nina Planck

We are now motivated more than ever to really get back into more complete meal-planning, no more skipping meals, and making sure we get veggies with every meal instead of settling for the leftover meat-only lunches.

Of course, motivation doesn't equal an implemented change. We actually need to sit down and come up with a plan - I would like to do a 12-month plan for the house renovations as well as set-up a monthly meal plan. And yet, it's like trying to pull teeth. It's already 9 days into the year and we have yet to do it.

Speaking of teeth, we have been seeing a "holistic" integrative biological dentist for about a month now (decided to take advantage of the dental insurance I've been paying for over a year!) and DH is getting his amalgam fillings replaced this month :) Soooo happy about that, since amalgam fillings leak toxic mercury into your bloodstream. Anyone with fillings should seriously consider doing the same for your health.

This dentist is awesome. He's also a Naturopathic Dr and an ozone provider. We've chatted each visit about Weston A. Price, David Browstein (whom I had not heard of, but have since ordered his book Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It, and will report back once I've read it), NaPro Technology (which he had never heard of but has hopefully done some research on it since we last spoke), Vitamin D3, K2, vaccinations, MTHFR (a clotting disorder we both share!) and ozone. Very cool to be able to hold these conversations with a medical Dr outside of NaPro who understands and even fosters alternative health therapies.

And, I am happy to report, 31.5 years and counting with no cavities :)

I also plan to change my spiritual life this year. I hope to get to daily Mass every Friday, or at least every other Friday, since my schedule will now allow for it. I hope to get back to my daily rosary and just a better prayer life in general. To that end, I was mulling over an idea and would love your input.

Prayer Buddies is still going strong, (thanks to the tireless efforts of Mrs. Henderson), and one of the reasons it has been so popular, in my opinion, is because I think we all understand that prayers offered on another's behalf are somehow even stronger than those offered for self. And, prayer buddies is no longer just for the childless - any intention close to your heart can be prayed over by your Prayer Buddy.

But, I would also love to organize something similar to the idea of Prayer Buddies which offers even more prayer, support, daily offerings, and spiritual warfare for couples specifically suffering from childlessness. We have all seen first-hand how the prayers of others have quite literally worked miracles to help bring about a first pregnancy or bring an adopted child home against all odds.

My idea was that we would all - bloggers and readers alike - "ADOPT" a childless blogger* for an entire month. Then, similar to a spiritual bouquet, offer all prayers, daily challenges, struggles in our own infertility or adoption problems, etc. for that blogger. I would even go so far as to say we could offer that month/that cycle TO that blogger.

For example, and I'll use our beloved JellyBelly as the example since her name was the one on my mind when I had this vision. Let's say during the month of January we were all to "offer our cycle" (or month) for JellyBelly to overcome all odds and become a mother. OK, so for many of you, this thought might sound a little scary. Especially if you are cycling, in treatment, and actively trying to conceive. But, this offering can be done in a number of ways. We may decide to offer up all of the anguish of the daily injections, ultrasounds, traveling to and from NaPro offices, etc. involved in a treatment cycle. We can offer a poor diagnosis recieved during that cycle (a luteinized unruptured follicle LUF, a low P+7 progesterone, an anovulatory cycle, etc.). Additionally, and here's where it will seem the most scary, we can offer the OUTCOME of the cycle over to JellyBelly - in other words, SACRIFICE our cycle as a prayer to heaven that JellyBelly may benefit and become a mother.

This does not have to be as scary as it sounds. God, as we well know, works in mysterious ways. First of all, I believe that if we make this sacrifice with the most selfless of intentions, it can move mountains. But, if a child was "meant to be conceived" in a given cycle that we then turn around and sacrifice, I believe that God will reward this selfless prayer by using it to doubly bless. In other words, I don't think that we need to worry that by sacrificing our cycle for someone else, we will possibly be missing THE CYCLE in which we were meant to conceive.

And, we can choose to use this sacrifice however we choose. Maybe some couples are in-between treatment cycles and decide that it is time for a "break cycle" from treatment. It may be a cycle of surgery or the cycle before or after. In these cases, it might be easier for someone to sacrifice the outcome of the cycle already knowing that the likelihood of conception is low.

But for others, (and this I think is perfectly normal!), it might be easier to sacrifice the outcome of the cycle RETROSPECTIVELY. Once a BFN or the period arrives, at that point the cycle can be sacrificed and we can use the pain and suffering of that failed cycle to turn into beautiful prayer for JellyBelly to achieve motherhood. Rather than succumb to too much wallow and self-pity, we can see it as an opportunity which will be (I think) SOOOO very pleasing to God.

And for those not actively trying to conceive, not currently cycling, single women, and those hoping to adopt - you can offer, in place of your cycle, your month of daily sufferings to the same intention.

The reason why I think this will be so mutually beneficial for those praying and those being prayed for is that I believe it will give ALL of us a higher purpose in our daily struggles, especially the sufferings that just don't seem to make any sense at the current time. Instead of wasting these opportunities with Whys and Whens, let's turn them into something so beautiful.

I think to be as strong as possible, we should do this in monthly installments. I propose doing this for the "Childless and Waiting" camp first. I will alert all of the readers as to which childless blogger* is being spiritually adopted in that given month.

So, thoughts? Is this spiritually sound? Other ideas for more ways to make personal sacrifices and offerings?



* I think it is best to keep this, for now, to childless bloggers, as the media being used to promote and begin it is the blogosphere. That way, those participating can follow along with the adopted blogger's journey and more powerfully align their offerings with the blogger's desire for motherhood.

UPDATE: Sarah said it best in her comment:

"How powerful would that be for so many of us to be praying all together for someone in particular?!"

YES! The point is that we will ALL be sending prayers at the same time for the same person... graces will abound, I am counting on it :)

We will start this on February 1st. Stay tuned!!


20 comments:

JellyBelly said...

Of course since I'm used as an example (and a grateful example at that!) that I think this is a GREAT idea. I know that I always feels so good during the prayer buddy season.

Loving your resolutions! Btw, I looked up holistic dentists in my area and they're all too far away. :(

Kat said...

Sounds like a great idea! I love it!

alison said...

OK so everyone offers it up for one blogger a month? I think I need a chart or something :P but why only ONE? Jk I'm still gonna get as many of you guys as I can name during during mass...

DM + AM said...

Sounds great! Count us in!

the misfit said...

I love the idea of communally offering up our sufferings for one person. I may be more iffy on the intention, though. I see the point of praying for the person (couple) to conceive or be matched for adoption or some such, since that's quite the concrete intention and the one for which they are praying themselves. But from my own experience, I think sometimes what we need is to have peace with never having a child - not to conceive/adopt. I get pretty cranky when people say they're praying for me to get pregnant (generally not bloggers - more family members and the like), because I have come to realize that that's not what God is planning for me. I would appreciate their prayers for my actual struggles in life, for peace and healing, for me to find something important to do with my time, for me not to die alone in a gutter with no one to notice I'm missing - but not to get pregnant. I think that's dismissive and patronizing - a little like telling a nun you're praying for her to find a nice man. To pray for people, you need to get your head to where they ARE. And obviously this is me, and I'm in a different part of this journey than many, but there may be a few currently childless women who are headed in this direction. Full life, peaceful souls (not saying I have one, just hoping), no kids. So...yeah. What do you think?

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

Really, really good points, and ones I had also thought about.

I think first and foremost, we would be asking whichever blogger chosen for a given month what their main intention was, and if they wanted prayers for their dream of motherhood to be realized. I guess I just naturally have always prayed (for my Prayer Buddy, or just in general for friends) for their specified intention (usually for a/nother baby), but always add to that "and that they may come to find peace in Your divine will."

Perhaps we can wrap that into this? And, for example, if you would like to be one of the bloggers we pray for, we can all storm the heavens on your behalf for peace and fruitfulness?

You're right - I don't think we would want to pray for someone to get pregnant or adopt if they are not "in that place" anymore. I imagine it would be similar to praying for a 60 year old single woman to find her spouse, before first hearing from her that she still prays to find one, herself.

Fight The Good Fight of Faith said...

i would like to take part. please count me in.

Ecce Fiat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ecce Fiat said...

I'd love to take part! I think it's a great idea.

Hebrews 11:1 said...

I think that this is a phenomenal idea and I am on board one thousand percent.

Suzie-Q T-Pie said...

My mom and sister have most of those books! I havn't read them yet, but my mom gives me updates as she reads them. lol
I love your idea of adopting a childless blogger, amazing idea. count me in!

prayerfuljourney said...

I'll go in on this one...and I agree...the prayers for the blogger should be for whatever intention she is praying for.

barbie said...

I'm in! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a blog, but I followed several blogs in this circle while I was having difficulty conceiving my son. I can't thank the women in this circle enough for the support they gave me. I would be honored to join in on this cause!

Erin said...

What a fantastic idea. I know that sometimes the prayers of others are the only thing that gets me through the pain of our infertility. I'm slowly learning the beauty of surrendering it all to God and sacrificing my worldly desires to glorify Him... wouldn't you know it knocked my socks off when I finally started feeling some peace. There really must be something to putting our desires aside and doing what God wants and showing love to our neighbor. :) Love this, count me in!

Thankful said...

Dang, you're one smart cookie. The special prayer idea is awesome!

Alive in HOPE! said...

I think your idea is truly inspired and - especially as we are headed to NYC for treatment with Dr. T in February - would be honored to take part. (I am SO nervous.) Maybe all of this can help someone else... God's will be done! :)

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

I would like to participate as well. Please count me in. Our Lady of Hope, pray for us!

Carla Dobs said...

I'm in!

Carla - Henry's mom

polkadot said...

I love the idea of adopting a blogger. You'll include yourself as an adoptee one month, I hope?