Thursday, September 8, 2011

Poverty

Another great session with my therapist last night. We spoke about "poverty" some more, and the blessings that come from it.

But today I'm going to write about a different kind of poverty.

As you may remember, DH landed a new job as a site manager at a construction company. He has not made ANY money with his father's company since last year.
My take-home pay is barely enough to pay the mortgage. So, we've had to utilize our savings for the past several months just to pay the bills (car payment, car insurance, gas, electric, water, student loans, cell phones, comcast, etc.) - there wasn't much left in savings after purchasing the house last December.

And... DH's job hasn't started officially yet. We were told August 15th. But as it turns out, there is an issue with the fact that the court thing is still going on. The new job needed something in writing from the courts stating that DH was definitely not going to jail, but the problem is, the next court date is October 7th, when settlement will be reached. Up until that time, DH could potentially decide to go forward with a trial and not accept settlement. Hence the current dilemma.

He has been going in for training and such this week and last... and the receptionist is doing everything she can to get him to start before October. Please pray.

Our mortgage is now 2 months late. Our car payments are delinquent. Bills are just piling up and just when I was about to lose it, I received a check from Clear Passages for $3,000 - what my insurance paid for my therapy back in June! THANK YOU, GOD!! I can now pay down some of those bills, at least.

But we desperately need DH to start getting paid... or things won't be pretty.

When we were told DH was going to start either July 15th or Aug 15th, we went ahead and planned our Housewarming Party for Sept 18th. Now, we have over 25 people already rsvp "yes," and no money to put into the house. Totally stinks.

Once he starts, our family income will more than double. I'm trying to put trust in God, but I could still use your prayers.

I know things could be so much worse... and without kids, I don't have the additional stress of wondering how I will provide for them during this tough financial time. But our house is our baby - we LOVE it, and really don't want to lose it.


Jesus, I trust you!

22 comments:

Perfect Power in Weakness said...

Ugh! So frustrating! Is there any way he could get some of his back pay from his father to cover the bills?

Second Chances said...

Oh man, TCIE, been there done that! I so feel your pain. Job loss/underemployment is so difficult to navigate. Can you apply for a home modification through your mortgage company? Ours FINALLY went through and our payment is so much more manageable now. I will say that I wouldn't trade our times of financial stress for anything, because we learned invaluable things during that time. But my sense is that you've already had enough experience! Email me if you want to chat.

Chasing said...

This stinks! I'm sorry everything is on hold with his job. Praying for things to turn around quickly!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

I am so sorry my friend. :( I know that is a huge stress! I'll say lots of prayers for you!

Rebecca said...

I am so sorry that on top of everything you are dealing with such financial stress. I so know what that feels like, and it is as crippling as IF in many ways.

You will be in my prayers and Praise God for the money coming in from Clear Passage when it did :).

Little JoAnn said...

St. Joseph intercede. You never fail.

Isaiah 55:8-9 said...

Ugh - financial stress is so difficult! Praying that everything works out soon!

the misfit said...

But has has WORKED for his parents' company in the time he has not been paid, right? And that company is not going under? And they know that as a result of never paying him he is behind on his mortgage and everything else? Not that it's OK to decide that your adult child "needs" X amount of money and pay him that instead of the salary he EARNED, but if they are not paying him even the amount he NEEDS for the work he's DONE, then we're talking about some really, really bad people. With a family like that, who needs enemies?

Praying for you.

"His Perfect Timing" said...

What a stressful, stressful situation you are in. Praying hard for you both that your DH starts his job SOON! And also ... perhaps for another check in the mail for you too?!?!?!? We will storm heaven for you both.

Sew said...

I'm so stressed for you! Praying!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

Oh, I'm stressing FOR you, friend! And praying praying, praying! Your family-in-law is a piece of work, eh? Unbelievable. I'm so sorry for this stress on top of everything else. Know He will bless you through your "poverty".

LifeHopes said...

Oh no! I am so sorry you have been dealing with all of this TCIE!!!

I will pray for this. Thank God for that check!!!

CM said...

That's rough, I'm sorry! Definitely will be praying for you!

More Than Anything said...

Gheez!! I'm sorry! I hate money and money problems. It gives me serious anxiety!!

I hate that you are having to deal with this too. I'll be praying for you.

JellyBelly said...

Money sucks. Praying for you guys!

Ashley said...

very stressful time indeed----prayers going up for you and DH.....

callmemama said...

Financial woes are incredibly stressful! I'm wishing you a quick resolution and an end to this mess!

Transformed Hearts said...

Hi TCIE! I have been reading your blog for a while, but I don't think I have ever commented. I am so sorry for your financial stress. That's no fun! We will pray for you. Also, as I sat here reading your blog, my hubby said that he would love for us to send you a small check to help out a little bit. Do you have an email address where I could reach you? We will pray that things start looking up for you soon. Your faith is amazing. What a beautiful witness for Christ and His Church!

silverbeetle said...

Financial woes are HARD and WORRYING. Been living them myself for over 2 years. Somehow, God has provided enough... though we are now maxed out on credit, DH found a paying job.

I will continue to pray for you, for both your fertility / family building AND for your finances. You have been an inspiration to me... especially your faith-filled humility in the face of seemingly endless obstacles... know that gift will see you through to better times... and eventually, through all eternity!

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

Transformed Hearts,
your generosity astounds me - what an amazing and selfless offer. Please thank your husband for me.
While I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting money from you, I would love to chat, and you can reach me at thiscrossiembrace at gmail dot com.

Clara said...

I know how rough financial problems are! I will keep you in my prayers!! Lord, please supply the financial needs and all needs of your faithful daughter (TCIE) and her husband. They need your help. Amen.

St. Rita's Roses said...

TCIE- I read this days ago and couldnt post until now- we have been praying for you both~~