Sunday, September 4, 2011

PMS and the Migraine from Hell

Last cycle's PMS was pretty bad. No anxiety attacks, or severe depression, but definitely lots of snapping, bitchiness, and general mood swings. It didn't last as long as it has been, and I credit the higher dose of Naltrexone for that, but there is still room for improvement. I may look into hCG for post-Peak PMS support this cycle. I just don't want it to become a cyclical thing (I'm trying to wind down on meds, not add more.)

Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life. I am not a migraine sufferer. I had one in my whole lifetime, and it was one day while I was teaching Kindergarten, needed the teacher next door to take over my class while I turned all the lights out in the classroom and put my head on the desk. I was able to drive home and go to sleep after about an hour.

But yesterday was far, far worse. It started out like a normal headache (I don't usually even get headaches, so when I do get them, I complain about it... a lot.) The headache got progressively worse, and my parents were visiting for the day, so I was out at the stores looking at some area rugs with my Mom. I BARELY made it home from the store after stopping for gas - the headache was so strong I started to feel nauseous. I got home, ran upstairs to the bathroom, and threw up. (Sorry.) I hate throwing up, but usually if I'm sick and do throw up, I feel better afterwards. I did not feel better. If possible, the headache was getting even worse.

I stumbled down the hall to the bedroom as DH said goodbye to my parents (I felt SO BAD, but I just could not help it.) I had already taken 2 aspirin earlier in the day, but they did nothing. I had also just started my period a few hours earlier.

DH came upstairs to get me comfortable in bed... but when I layed down, the headache got so bad I thought I was going to die. Literally. My head was pounding so much and NOTHING would take the pain away. I started to get more nauseous from the pain. DH sat me up in bed, and I asked him for a trash can. All at once, I felt a rush of blood from my period (sorry, again), cramps all throughout my lower abdomen and pelvis, nausea, and an insane headache... I tried to take two Motrin because I didn't want anymore aspirin since my period had just started.

A minute after I took the Motrin, I was back in the bathroom, throwing up. It was at that point that I got extremely dizzy and had to lay back against the tub. The headache began to subside just a bit, and I remember DH picking me up from the floor because I had passed out for a few seconds.

When he carried me back to bed, he propped me up, and started rubbing some essential oils on my feet (largest pores in the skin). He used rosemary, lavendar, and peppermint to ward off the nausea. I remember hearing him on the phone with his mother, asking her what he should do, and she gave him some quick Jin-Shin J'yitzu techniques to try, and the next thing I knew, the headache slowed down enough for me to fall asleep (sitting up in bed). I woke up 20 minutes later and was wiped out but feeling SO much better.

So... talk about suffering! I was prepared for the start of this new cycle to be one that I would "dive" into and experience the suffering, as my therapist had suggested. I didn't realize it would be the absolute worst pain I'd ever felt in my life!!

And in other news, here is a gift I received in the mail last week:





I'll give you two hints. It's not Salsa. And, it's from Sew.

;)

23 comments:

Tridentine Wife said...

Oh you poor dear! I have never had a migraine in my life but I hear they're awful. Sometimes when I get a really bad headache, I try to think about Jesus being crowned with thorns. Sounds like your husband handled it like a pro.

I have no idea what is in that jar!

E said...

Coconut oil?!?!??!?!?! Do I win some, too??

I am so so so sorry about that migraine. They are so incredible horrible, like a war is going off in your head. What an intro to the suffering of this cycle, I hope you were offering it up!! Plus, I really hope you can have a relaxing day off tomorrow, make DH make you some of that oh so yummy lasagna. ;)

ALIVEINHOPE said...

So sorry to hear about the migraine. That is one I can identify with. : (

JellyBelly said...

Migraines are the worst! Sounds like you had quite the doozy yesterday. Do you feel hung over today? My migraines seem to last a couple of days because of the strangeness the next day.

Is that coconut oil or lard? That Sew is so crazy!

the misfit said...

Ooh...I hope it isn't lard :).

That sounds awful. I've had a handful of migraines in my life, but I've never thrown up from one. That sounds awful.

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

Nothing worse than a migraine. I am so sorry. Oh, I am so glad it's over!!!

That jar looks nasty, but I'm sure it's fantastic!

Megan said...

That migraine sounds completely miserable! So glad your DH was there to take care of you! I have just started getting into essential oils, and they are amazing! Anyway so glad you are feeling better!

And as for the jar, I'm going to go with LARD!

C.C. (aka Crunchy Catholic Mama) said...

I'm so sorry about your migraine. I hate them. I'm most likely to get one just before my period but have about 1000 other triggers. Do you think the trigger was just the hormones? Yay for DH! I'm so glad you had his support.

Okay for the jar... I'm pretty sure it's animal fat. I'm guessing that it's beef fat though?? Do I win a prize? ;o)

Carla Dobs said...

My 17 year old suffered from violently painful migraines (including bouts of vomiting)for years...

his best tips...

1) have Excedrin Migraine ALWAYS available and take 2 the second you SUSPECT you are getting a migraine

2) never EVER use caffeine in regular life so it will work well in the Excedrin Migraine

3) sit on the side of the tub with your feet in a few inches of HOT water and with an icepack on your head, it drains the blood and decreases the headache...

of course, if you are going to passout, maybe skip #3...

you poor thing! prayers!!!

Carla
www.bringinghenryhome.blogspot.com

Be Not Afraid said...

This is awful. I have been having headaches my last few cycles and have wondered what is going on now. I hope you will never have to go through that again.

St. Rita's Roses said...

I am so sorry- migranes suck- I get them and they last for days! Cold packs help and neck massages. I am glad you are feeling better~
My guess-lard?

Little JoAnn said...

In Dr. Beer's book he talks about migranes. I'll try to read it and see if there are any insights to be found there. Migranes are torture pure and simple. Have you ever tried muscle relaxers? I ask because I had to take one recently but I have such a bad back that I was unable to get out of bed for 3 days. But, literally one dose of Flexal, I'll look it up, turned me around. I am thinking it could help with a migrane that you feel coming on...

Sarah said...

I'm gonna say Sew sent you coconut oil. :) Wow, sorry for the horrible migraine... I get those, and wow... wow... "headache" seems too tame a word to describe them.

Hebrews 11:1 said...

That stinks! I'm so sorry! But I'm glad you are feeling better now.

Sew said...

I wouldn't waste my time sending cco! ;)-

This is very odd about you not getting migraines and then getting the with your cycle...What do you think about that?

I would get on the PMS to help alleviate that PMS and hope to ease these side effects...Because, ummm, I've been in your vacinity during PMS and truly you crack me up, I do not even care if you medicate! I love your PMS but I pray for R! :)

callmemama said...

Looks like animal fat - lard or tallow - to me :).
Sorry about the migraine. Those are nasty, nasty things. The last couple I've gotten, the doctor actually told me if I had another to go to the ER! It's not normal or good to have that kind of headache. Could be something seriously wrong, especially if you don't normally get them.
Hope there's no repeat of that, at least!

"His Perfect Timing" said...

Your experience sounds awful! I would probably mention this to your doctor ... This shouldn't be considered normal at all. You poor, poor thing. I hope you are feeling better now!

Faith makes things possible said...

Migraines are terrible!! I haven't had one in so many years (knock on wood) and I can only imagine it happening along with being on my period...ugh, well, I'm praying that you don't have another ever again-or at least a really long time!! Praying for you!!!

LifeHopes said...

That headache sounds awful. Seriously, what could be causing it? I am so sorry you had to go through it!

I am afraid to ask what is in that jar but my best bet is lard!

Made For Another World said...

Hope that never happens again to you. Yuck. My vote is homemade deodorant- ha ha.

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

OH my GOSH!!! That sounds insanely intense! That must have been so scary for you and DH! I'm so sorry. That's terrible to have so much pain! Glad the essential oils worked! I keep hearing more and more about those and am thinking i need to give them a try!

Beth said...

omg is that Lard?

Clara said...

I am so sorry about the migraine! That is just awful. Thank God DH was there to take care of you and was able to help.

Oh and my guess is: either some sort of fat or homemade saurkraut(sp?).