Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Swiss Family Robinson- A Lesson for Us All

Believe it or not, I had never seen Swiss Family Robinson.

DH found it amongst his piles of old movies yesterday and was overjoyed to watch it again; it was his absolute favorite as a boy.

Early on in the film, right after the family is shipwrecked on their way to New Guinea to start a new life, the father of the family begins to plan ahead for what his family will need on this deserted island, not knowing how long they may be there. {On a side note, isn't it hysterical how the parents in old movies call each other "Father" and "Mother?" DH and I have decided to REALLY confuse people and call each other Father and Mother in the presence of others.} So, the mother of the family grows more and more concerned as she sees her husband reacting as if they will not be rescued, and she continues to ask him how long he thinks they will be on the island. When her husband responds that it will only be until a ship comes and rescues them, she says, "Well then, that's what I will pray for with every waking breath."

My gut reaction to this was as follows:

"How stupid! She's going to pray over and over again to get rescued when all the while God has this awesome adventure planned for her? She would completely miss out on all of it if she were rescued! Not to mention the movie would really stink."

And then my next immediate thought was...

"Doh!"

How often have I prayed that God would bless us with children, help us become pregnant, help us adopt, grow our family? All the while, God has known that the movie of MY life is going to be much more interesting than what I would script. (And yes, in case you were wondering, the movie of my life can be found in the Drama Section.) My movie may end with children, or it may not, but the BEST part of it, the meat of the film, will be what happens during the unplanned journey that presented itself to me while I was on my way to starting a new life.

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans."
So true.

I think it is important to make our desires known to God, but maybe in general our prayers need to be less specific. Our Father, after all, is the ultimate planner and screenwriter.

Now, we do need to make a concerted effort to make the best of these unplanned circumstances that come our way. The movie still would have stunk if the mother resigned herself to the fact that they would never be rescued, that life wasn't worth living, and she would never truly be happy again. Instead, she made the most of it, adapting to the new way of life, and eventually loved it so much that she didn't want to leave the island.

(Given the choice, I think I may still choose to leave the island of infertility, but that's the main difference between "MOTHER" and me ;) )

Ever loving Father, you know the desires of my heart, You who formed me before I was in my mother's womb. Help me now to always do Your will on earth, to never resent the cross I've been given, and to seek only a closer relationship with You, so that one day I may meet You face to face. Help me in my daily trials, and when things become more difficult, let me feel your presence in a more tangible way so that I may remember You always have my best interests in mind. Help me to love others as You love me. Amen.

18 comments:

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

This is one of my favorite movies and we watched it over and over as a kid. I loved the tree house and wished I could live in one like it!

What a great connection to draw between the movie and the path so many face in terms of infertility or whatever cross may come there way. You are right - the meat of our life is to be experienced in the here and now. Great post to end my night on!! God Bless!

Fertile Thoughts said...

This is a beautiful post and actually helped me see some things more clearly in my own life! Thanks for the insights. I love that movie by the way :)

allyouwhohope said...

Great insights!! So true!

barbie said...

You are such a thinker!! I wholeheartedly agree with this post! One thing grant and I made sure to do while waiting for a baby was to enjoy the time with each other. We had fun, being with each other, doing things together etc knowing that (hopefully) a time would come went it wasn't just the two of us cuddling on a sofa... And we did, we enjoyed our time together. I think you can live your current vocation (wife) with enjoyment even while in wait for the next step in your journey (motherhood). I hope this made sense. I love you!

CM said...

That prayer is beautiful!

Faith makes things possible said...

What a great lesson and a wonderful reminder.

Simone said...

Great Post!
what a great lesson to learn from that movie. Those old movies are great.

JellyBelly said...

Gotta put this movie on my list!

mrsblondies said...

Great insights! I'll have put that on my list of movie to watch since I've never seen it.

the misfit said...

"DH and I have decided to REALLY confuse people and call each other Father and Mother in the presence of others."

YES. Do this. I have many times said that the next time someone asks me whether I have children at a party, I should say that I have three, and then provide names, ages, food allergies, hobbies, and physical descriptions. This is really only funny if someone is within earshot who knows the truth, but either way it would amuse me. Sadly, I haven't done this.

Also not yet done (but will be so hilarious when it happens): my DH has a big pet peeve (which I have adopted, but I'm nowhere near as passionate as he is) about DC people asking "so what do you do for a living?" as an intro question at social events. (They do. Constantly.) After hearing one of my blogger stories, he declared, "The next time some stranger asks me what I do for a living, I'm going to say, 'lactation consultant.'" I really want him to do this, so I periodically remind him, and suggest that he talk at length about the importance of "latch."

"His Perfect Timing" said...

When reading your post, I had the same reaction as you about the mother ... and the same "DOH!" moment when you continued writing. This is such a great, great post. Yes, I like the saying "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans", but this post explains it SO much better than that short saying.
Also, if you don't mind, I'm going to copy your prayer at the bottom. It is beautiful!

Little JoAnn said...

YES. This is so true!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

So true!!

Ashley said...

Excellent post!

Made For Another World said...

Never seen it either. What great comparisons to this journey! Thanks for always making me think.

E said...

So true! But, wouldn't it be so much easier to enjoy the journey if we knew the ending. :) But, that is faith.

Rebecca said...

Beautiful!

Silvana said...

Great post!! :)