Friday, June 10, 2011

"Why Does Everything Always Happen to ME????!!!"

I put my title in quotes because I feel like Rachel in Friends right about now - in the episode where she is looking for a new pediatrician for her baby girl, asks Ross to give her the name of his old pediatrician, and he tells her that the Dr died. She responds with exacerbation: "Why does everything always happen to ME?!!"

And of course, this is meant to be funny, since she is healthy, her baby is healthy, and the DR is the one who died.

But yesterday, I had the urge to make the same complaint.

Because last night I got a voicemail from Clear Passage Therapy in Gainesville, Florida (where I am traveling to in less than 24 hours), telling me to call them back as soon as possible, and if I got the message later than 6:00pm, to call on the personal cell phone of the receptionist.

Yikes. This couldn't be good.

When I called, the receptionist tells me,

"Well, as you already know, our two founders, Belinda and Larry Wurn, are away on vacation the week of your therapy."

Yes, I did already know this, but decided to still go forward with therapy in spite of not having THE FOUNDER HERSELF treat me for a part of the week's treatment, because otherwise I would have needed to wait another month for the treatment to coincide with my cycle. How it works is, normally all four therapists will take turns treating you for four hours each day. I knew in advance I would only have two.

"I'm very sorry to inform you that one of our therapists, K, cut off the tip of her right index finger last night. Needless to say, her fingers are crucial to the manual work she does, and she will not be at full capacity to treat you next week."

My reaction? WHY DOES EVERYTHING ALWAYS HAPPEN TO MEEEEEE???!!!???!!

My actual response? "Oh no! Is she ok?"

She told me that she was indeed ok, and was having grafting surgery the next day. She then said that she wanted to call me first because I was the first person to schedule treatment for this upcoming week, and pending MY decision, she would then alert the other two patients for the week of what they would have to do. If I decided to still go ahead with treatment, knowing that my hours would be more spaced out (to allow the only other therapist remaining, Y, to rest between hours), AND I should also know that K DOES plan on coming in to work and will assist wherever she can, so that in essence, I will end up getting MORE treatment than normal - then she would cancel the other patients for the week. But if I wanted to, I could reschedule and they would certainly reimburse any additional costs that rescheduling may cause me to accrue.

(DH thought they should offer me a free treatment if I rescheduled. If they had, I may have done it.)

But, I decided to go forward with treatment. When we get there, DH is still going to ask them for a discount due to the last minute change of things. I think that's reasonable, don't you?

The thing is- I already got the week off work, trained other ultrasound techs to do the NaPro-specific scans if need be while I'm away (though I'm hoping there won't be any, since I'm sure they'll botch it up), and reserved the hotel, rental car, and flights (thanks again, Beth and Ken!)

I was not about to put this off, unless BOTH therapists accidentally chopped off BOTH of their hands ;)

Let's hope I don't get THAT phone call tonight!

Please pray for successful treatment for me, which will begin Monday, June 13th, the Feast Day of Saint Anthony.

Pray that it will break up every last one of my adhesions, and finally restore my God-given fertility.

I will be sure to give you updates from Florida during the week. I'm also looking forward to meeting up with More Than Anything in St Augustine at the Our Lady of La Leche shrine. MTA, where are you, email me!!!

15 comments:

More Than Anything said...

Sorry!! I just e-mailed you!

I cannot believe it!! I would be crying "WHY ME?" too!! Gheez!

I'm glad you're still coming though!

A Martha trying to be Mary said...

Wow! I was almost compelled to put St Anthony on its head when I began to red this to make sure all would work out (its sounds horrible, but its a tradition here in extreme, extreme urgency until all its resolved!) I am glad you are still going and get to enjoy Florida and have your treatment.

I have known many great things after mayan massage and this seems in part similar.

Will continue to pray extra hard for you. St. Anthony will come through as well as St. Rita!!! I am sure!!!

Little JoAnn said...

The devil has his hands in this...your future children are saints that is all I can say.

"His Perfect Timing" said...

Ugh ... STRESSFUL!!! I'm glad you were the first person so you were able to be treated next week. I'll be praying this is the *final* treatment you need.

St. Rita's Roses said...

I waa thinking the same thing Little JoAnn! That dang evil one. I am so glad ur still going!!! I am going to be praying for you.

JellyBelly said...

Honest to Pete! Are you freaking serious???

Your babies are to discover the cure to some horrible disease or win the Nobel prize or something!!!!

St Anthony and St Rita help this girl out!!!!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

HAHAHA! I love that episode!!!! So sorry you're having such trouble getting seen!!!!

Tridentine Wife said...

Hope it will work out, good luck and prayers in Florida.

barbie said...

Wow. Poor you! :) I will be praying super hard!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Yikes! That stinks!! I have a good feeling about this for you though my friend!!

Maria Therese said...

So sorry that happened to you! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

By the way, when are you going to the St. Gianna Shrine? Are you going to meet St, Gianna's daughter? I hear she is coming to PA this summer sometime!

I LOVE St. Gianna and pray asking for her prayers and intercession every day! Still hoping and praying for a miracle!

PS. I'm going back to my Napro doctor next week! I haven't seen him in over a year! Hope he can help me! I have an endometrioma on my right ovary, three fibroids, and now I'm skipping periods! I am pretty sad about that. I keep praying for a miracle baby!

I would LOVE to hear from you!

Love,
Maria

the misfit said...

After the staggering amount of treatments you've done and setbacks you've gone through (to achieve something the average person thinks "just happens" in the first place), having something zany and weird happen to your doctor right before you're supposed to get on a PLANE (also not necessary for most people seeking medical care in this country) for your treatment does seem like an unnecessary additional PIA. At least in my opinion :).

I'm still mystified by this treatment, but perhaps your updates will enlighten me. I hope it's the last thing you need, too!!

E said...

Hey girl, been thinking lots about you. St. Anthony is a patron saint of ours, when you come down this summer when Sew is in town, let's go to his shrine in MD.

I hope you will be blogging from FL. I have hope that this will be the ticket for you!!!!

Sarah said...

Wanted to comment earlier but was at work. :) Great perspective... and I think St. Anthony and Rita are definitely "calling your name!" I remember a reflection from St. Therese about how the Saints love us SO MUCH... more than we can imagine.

Be Not Afraid said...

If anyone has a right to say that, you certainly do!