Monday, June 13, 2011

St Augustine, Blogger Meeting, and Day 1 of Clear Passage

I'm going to have to keep this short because I'm exhausted, but I did want to post some pictures from St Augustine. Yesterday after Mass, DH and I drove 2 hours to St Augustine, where the first Marian shrine is located (Our Lady of La Leche, often invoked for prayers for motherhood and healthy pregnancies). I remember my Creighton Model Practitioner telling me about visiting the shrine, and I was so excited to be able to finally get there!

And another great part was that I finally got to meet "More Than Anything" and her husband! They were so, so sweet, and aside from Mr MTA being a Red Sox fan (blech!) they were perfectly awesome in every way ;)

Here are some pictures from the trip:


This is the Cross on the ground of the shrine, to commemorate the place where the first Catholic Mass was celebrated in the new world. The cross can be seen 25 miles from sea. It's ginormous, the pictures does it NO justice.


Here is a mosaic of Our Lady of Guadalupe (who will forever hold a special place in my heart, thanks to E from "A Martha Trying to Be Mary.")
You can't see it in this picture, but off to the left was the TINIEST little sign with an arrow pointing behind this mosaic, which read, "Juan Diego." So, we walked around to the back and this is what we saw:


Here is a statue of a very malnourished St Joseph (don't ya think?!)


And here is the shrine (in a tiny chapel covered in ivy):



Mr and Mrs TCIE


The shrine was so humble and beautiful. I LOVED it there.


After our time at the Shrine (and the gift shop, which was equally as wonderful, in particular the small statues of Jesus playing football and practicing karate), we went to a lovely dinner with the MTAs, then walked through part of the historic center of town. Here are some pictures from the inside of the St Augustine Basilica:

Infant of Prague at the side chapel


Here we are lighting a candle in front of St Joseph - praying for PTI to come through at the end of the month. Didn't realize the sneaky MTAs were taking a picture ;)

So today I had my first therapy session at Clear Passage. I immediately knew I was in the right place at the right time. This place is wonderful. The therapists are awesome (including Stubby), and even knew about the Creighton Model and NaPro Technology! We spoke a lot about fertility treatments (the real "treatment" treatments, not the ones they CALL treatments that don't actually fix anything), and it was refreshing to speak with women who have the same mindset about holistic approaches to healthcare. Right off the bat, I noticed KY Jelly and Femmeglide on one of the desks in the treatment room, and I asked the therapist if she would mind NOT using those for the internal part of my massage, and instead using water for lubrication. She said, "Oh, I can certainly use water if you'd like, but we also have Pre-Seed for those who are near ovulation." OK, yes, I love this place.

I did have some internal therapy today, and it wasn't bad at all. There was pressure but no pain. I think after the Dr S special pelvic exam, I was ready for the worst ;) Actually, parts of the external massage were much more uncomfortable than the internal, and I was warned that I may feel like my skin was tearing, like I was being poked with hot pokers, and burning sensations. I may even feel like they are poking me after therapy is finished for the day (they said others have experienced this and while it may be weird, it's normal). What's interesting is that through the initial assessment and treatments from today, they've ascertained already that the right side of my pelvis and lower abdomen are much more restricted than the left. The reason I find this interesting is that my right ovary is the "lazy" ovary that rarely ovulates on its own. I also had a ton of discomfort right behind the umbilicus, shooting right into my back. This is the site of both laparoscopy incisions.

After treatment today, both therapists said they were already sensing a lot of release - mostly superficially- and that they will be going "deeper" through the week.

More throughout the week, I'm off to go drink tons of water (a requirement of theirs) and watch some tv.

Happy Feast Day of St Anthony!

25 comments:

barbie said...

This treatment is SO interesting!! I read about this about 5 yrs ago and was very interested, I can't wait to hear more!!

More Than Anything said...

Why didn't we take a picture of the Jesus playing football statue?!?! Oh man!

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

This is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Ashley said...

Been following but not commenting for awhile via Danya and Leila.....praying for successful therapy and for your body to receive the benefits at this center!

Shannon said...

sounds amazing... I'm praying for you!

A Martha trying to be Mary said...

A great sign! Our Lady of Guadalupe ! =) Thank you so much for sharing!

I continue to pray for you! Love this therapy already !

Tridentine Wife said...

Wow, I've never heard of this treatment, you are on the up and up lol

God Alone Suffices said...

My husband and I went to this shrine on our honeymoon. :) It's a beautiful place.

Chasing said...

Yea! So glad it seems to be going well. Hydrate up, girl!

JellyBelly said...

Gotta put St. Augustine on my list!!

SO glad that day one of your therapy went well! If I have $$ left over from my surgery in the US, I will have to get myself to DC! It sounds right up my alley!

Megan said...

Wow! This is fascinating!!

Elisabeth said...

i have never heard of CP before. very interesting. i look forward to your posts.

Amazing Life said...

hope this week is full of healing!

Second Chances said...

Awesome. I'm so glad you found this.

And that picture of the cross where the first mass was said gave me maga shivers. So cool!

Rebecca @ The Road Home said...

Awesome! Oh, and please please please take their advice and drink LOTS and LOTS of water. The Man is a massage therapist and it is the ONE thing he talks most about being important for follow-up after any type of massage. If you start getting a headache or cramps anywhere, water, more water :).

Please don't take this as me telling you what to do - I didn't take The Man's advice and didn't drink water after a massage once - could barely move the next day.

Again, yea! This is wonderful!

the misfit said...

Fascinating. Interested to hear how the week progresses!

Made For Another World said...

So glad you feel at peace with your practitioners. It's such a relief to be around people who 'get it.' Praying the treatment is successful!

E said...

Thanks for the update! You are seriously so brave. That is so great that you are getting rid of those adhesions, I had a huge one from my belly button (from my first Lap).

What a beautiful pilgramige! Wish we were there!!

Little JoAnn said...

They sound like awesome healers. So glad you are there.

Cliff said...

I am a massage therapist, but not personally experienced with internal massage. I am however, very impressed with your amount of trust and courage. I would like to inform you of a possible side effect not mentioned. Adhesion release is often accompanied by emotional release. A strong emotion may surface for no apparent reason. Sometimes the experience can be confusing and cause anxiety. Just ride it out and trust. It shouldn't take long. This may or may not occur, just be aware. Thank you for sharing your experience.

St. Rita's Roses said...

I am so glad things are going well. Those pics are beautiful! I can not wait to hear more about the treatments!! This sounds incredible!

Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

OH I just love that little chapel! And the little Infant:))

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

Cliff, thank you for stopping by! And for your comment.
In the literature they sent to my home before I came, they mentioned this side effect you spoke about - I was actually dreading it, because it made such perfect sense to me that our bodies and minds are working as one, and that years of infertility stress is probably bound up tight and repressed in these knots and adhesions. So far, I haven't had that reaction yet, but I have become quite irritable ;) (They warned me that this could happen due to working on the liver.)

Rebecca @ The Road Home said...

TCIE - so, I'm kinda jealous right now :) - the Cliff that commented is my husband 'The Man' :)! I don't think he's ever even commented on MY blog (well, maybe once :)).

I know, totally off-topic, but I just had to tell you.

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

I was wondering about that! Especially since you had JUST told me he was a massage therapist!

Too funny :)

Thank The Man for me!