Thursday, June 9, 2011

Saints Rita and Anthony

Apparently they are my new BFFs :)

My breath was taken away yesterday. First, as I sat in the pews of my hometown parish and listened to my almost-14 year old goddaughter renew her baptismal vows during her Confirmation - and remembered a time not too long ago when I was saying those vows for her, holding her in my arms... wow. Unreal. And so beautiful.

But then, as I glanced around my gorgeous parish, it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks. There, on the left side of the altar, a giant statue of Saint Anthony. And there, on the right side of the altar, a giant statue of Saint Rita.

Two Saints who I recently discovered to be Patron Saints for Infertility and Barren Women.

Two Saints to whom I've been praying Novenas for just a few weeks.

Two Saints who were with us from the very beginning, quite literally FLANKING us when we were married at that altar 5 years ago.

I have a feeling they will be very powerful in my life from this point on. Our own "St Rita's Roses" told me she thinks Saint Rita's been trying to BFF me ;) I'll take it!

Oh, and speaking of St. Rita's Roses - go share in her happy news if you haven't already!! What a story for the history books! I just love how all of these faithful Catholic women who become mothers through adoption and or who become pregnant have equally miraculous stories - such a testament!

And might I remind you all that on April 28th, 2011 I sat next to St. Rita's Roses and her DH at St Gianna's feast day Mass at her shrine - I prayed for them during the Eucharist.

And on April 28th, 2009, I sat next to All You Who Hope and her DH at St. Gianna's feast day Mass at her shrine - and I prayed for them during the Eucharist.

Coincidence? I think not.

JellyBelly, I know what you're thinking. But I think we missed that loophole of attending Mass together at her shrine on a day OTHER THAN her feast day. You'll just have to come back with me next April 28th.

Anyone else wanna get in on this action?? ;)

12 comments:

A Martha trying to be Mary said...

Can 2 saints adopt you? =) Well I have the very same feeling as St. Rita´s Roses, but in this case St. Anthony, he has something to do with you!! Actually you were the reason why I thought about doing the international novena. I had no idea why, but it was a very clear feeling. and now reading this!!!! Wow!!! I have chills!!

Nicole C said...

Amazing!!! I love St. Rita and her story! It's fate!

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

St. Rita and St. Anthony rock!!! May there intercession be made known to in a powerful way this summer!

JellyBelly said...

Stupid loopholes!!!!!

Maybe my miracle is going to take just a little longer since we didn't attend mass together on St Gianna's feast day????? I'm grasping at straws here.

I got shivers when I got your text this morning! Definitely a sign!

the misfit said...

Now I need to look up this St. Anthony/infertility connection. I had never heard of that! Long after it appeared that God had started ignoring my prayers, St. Anthony kept answering them faithfully, every time. I guess he likes me. Doubly helpful if he works on infertility - a new angle!

BlessedBeLord said...

Wow, I love all this "God-incidence".
I really want to visit St. Gianna's Shrine. It's been in the back of my mind.
I know God is giving you all those beautiful signs... & he is preparing u for a bigger Miracle. Yes, my heart is saying so..It won't be long..

St. Rita's Roses said...

Love the story! They were both with you all along~ I hope everything goes well on your trip- I will be asking St. Rita to intercede.

lydiapurpuraria said...

Wow! It's so great when saints stalk/adopt people. I'm a new reader, and this is really encouraging in my own struggle with secondary IF. St. Rita got my marriage through a rough patch, and St. Anthony has been with me since I was a baby. Coincidence? I think not.

"His Perfect Timing" said...

So wonderful you had a "lightbulb" moment ... they've been there all along, waiting for you to discover this fact! I'll bet they're smiling! :)

Silvana said...

I think you may like this link..
http://www.meetingmostre.com/rx_mostre/2010-10/panello/Santa%20Gianna%20Beretta%20Molla.pdf

Anonymous said...

Reflection on Feast of St. Rita, the saint of Impossible Cases,by Ndubuisi
TWisdom stands at the centre of today’s first reading taken from the book of Sirach. Wisdom is one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. Wisdom exalts those who seek her. Seeking wisdom requires: Responsibility, Initiative, Trust and Availability (RITA).

RESPONSIBILITY disposes us to knowing the place of God in our lives and our service to our neighbours. St. Rita placed God at the centre of her life and gave her life for the worship of God and service to humanity.

INITIATIVE: relationship is not a one-way street. Even in our relationship with God. Seeking wisdom entails taking initiatives, in other words, opening our hearts and minds and allowing the Spirit of Truth to move us in the right direction. St. Rita allowed herself to be moved by the love of God.

TRUST, without which no relationship can function. Seeking Wisdom involves placing our whole being without reserve into God’s hand. It is entails abandoning ourselves to the care of God. Allowing Him to do His works in us; and firmly believing that He is God who does not deceive. St. Rita put all her trust in God; She trusted and loved her Saviour to her very last breath. And the psalmist says, ‘those who trust in the LORD are as secure as Mount Zion; they will not be defeated but will endure forever.’ (Ps 125: 1)

AVAILABILITY, many a time we are so occupied with our daily routines or activities that we hardly have time for ourselves, for the people around us and even for God. Seeking Wisdom means being available for God and our neigbours. Seeking Wisdom is saying to God, ‘Here I am Lord, I have come to do your Will (Heb 10: 5, 7; Psalm 40). That was what St. Rita of Cascia did, as a mother she was there for her family; she was there for the people; and above all, she was available for God.

May we ask St. Rita today to intercede for us before the throne of God almighty, so that we may become TRUE SEEKERS of Wisdom. May she intercede for all the pregnant women, all the abused women and widows. May she interecede for us all especially those encountering difficult family/relationship situations. Amen

I also invite to join in this Prayer:

Prayer to Saint Rita in Impossible Cases

O powerful Saint Rita,
You are called the Saint of the Impossible.
In this time of need I come to you with confidence.
You know my trials, for you yourself were many times burdened in this life.
Come to my help, pray with me, intercede on my behalf before the Father.
I know that God has a most generous heart and that He is the most loving Father.
Join your prayer to mine and obtain for me the grace I desire:
Here mention your request
I promise to use this favour, when granted to better my life
To proclaim God’s mercy and to make you widely known and loved.
Amen. St. Rita of Cascia, Pray for us.