Friday, June 3, 2011

Oh, These Times Are Hard...

I've been hearing this song on the radio for the past several weeks, but never paid much attention to the lyrics until earlier this week. At this time in our lives, it is scary how appropriate it is for me and my husband - he could have written it!

I thought I'd share the lyrics here with you:

The Scripts: For The First Time

She's all laid up in bed with a broken heart
While I'm drinking Jack all alone in my local bar
And we don't know how we got into this mad situation
Only doing things out of frustration
Trying to make it work, but man these times are hard

She needs me now but I can't seem to find the time
I've got a new job now in the unemployment line
And we don't know how we got into this mess it's a God's test
Someone help us cause we're doing our best
Trying to make it work but man these times are hard

But we're gonna start by drinking old cheap bottles of wine
Sit talking up all night
Saying things we haven't for a while, a while yeah
We're smiling but we're close to tears
Even after all these years
We just now got the feeling that we're meeting
For the first time

She's in line at the door with her head held high
While I just lost my job but didn't lose my flight
But we both know how we're gonna make it work when it hurts
When you pick yourself up you get kicked in the dirt
Trying to make it work but man these times are hard

But we're gonna start by drinking old cheap bottles of wine
Sit talking up all night
Saying things we haven't for a while, a while yeah
We're smiling but we're close to tears
Even after all these years
We just now got the feeling that we're meeting
For the first time


Oh these times are hard
Yeah they're making us crazy
Don't give up on me baby

Oh these times are hard
Yeah they're making us crazy
Don't give up on me baby


Aside from the drinking part, since DH isn't a big drinker, this is most definitely our life right now. I love the hopeful tone of the song, and actually, it's one of the only songs I know where the lyrics imply that it's about MARRIAGE and not just dating, falling in love, or breaking up. I love this song.

8 comments:

Rebecca @ The Road Home said...

Oh wow. Those lyrics really resonated with me today. And I too like how they are about MARRIAGE - and sticking together and working it out.

Danya @ He Adopted Me First said...

I'm a radio girl myself and have heard this song a million times. I never knew all the words - 'just thought I did! Nice! You're so young TCIE - I know you'll have your announcement to make someday....

the misfit said...

I think that one struck me the first time I heard it. We're both teetotalers, so it doesn't literally apply, but the tone really does appeal to me.

Be Not Afraid said...

Oh my goodness. I have been reading your blog for a while. Talk about trial by fire. I hope that after your many crosses, God will send you a great consolation!

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

That is intense and so real. I am praying for both of you, sister. God is very near.

JellyBelly said...

I hardly ever listen to commercial radio so I just had to go to iTunes to listen to a snippet of it!

It's always amazing to me when music speaks to us (I've been listening to the Wicked soundtrack nonstop, I'm sure that the person that wrote the music has no idea that one can make many parallels to IF with so much of the score!).

We will both have our announcements one day. Today, I am able to believe that for the both of us.

motheringspirit said...

Love this song. Have you ever heard Sarah MacLachlan's "Answer"? It was the only song that seemed true to me during our IF days. Praying for you.

Noah said...

If you listen to Contemporary Christian Music (Family Life Radio or KLove), you'll find there are A LOT of songs that talk about marriage from a Christian context. Steven Curtis Chapman's "I Will Be Here" is just one of many, many, many that do so. Warren Barfield wrote a song for the "Fireproof" movie called, "Worth Fighting For".

Just a thought. Stumbled across this blog while researching out these lyrics to see if they were resung by anyone else.