Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spotting

Why do I feel like I'm going backwards??

I've eliminated all casein (protein in milk) and all gluten as of early February, so it's officially been one month on this new diet (which is also low glycemic-index, and high protein)... and this cycle has SUCKED. There, I said it.
Not only did my TEBB (tail-end brown bleeding, at the end of my period) come back with a vengeance, but it never went away!! I did ultrasounds on myself (c'mon, you know you would, too, if you were in my shoes), and I ovulated early since I took a low dose of Femara. I took 4 Femara pills (2.5mgs each) on cycle day 2, because I wanted to force my right ovary into working again. The last time when I thought I saw a follicle on my right side, it didn't end up developing, and the left side took over that cycle. But THIS time, the right side made a nice, big, juicy follicle that got to 2.3cm (or slightly bigger) before rupturing. It also had a nice and obvious cumulus oopherus (evidence of an egg). But, all the while, I was spotting. Right around rupture, the brown turned to red for two days - and each day it was very, very light... then after rupture it went back to brown.
At P+3, I started my compounded progesterone, thinking for sure that would get rid of it... and it did, in the mornings. But by the afternoon, the brown is back again.

WHAT THE SHIT?!?!?!?!

I am so upset by this... all of the FertilityCare conferences I have attended in the past 3 years have shown charts of women who implemented major diet changes, and their charts went from confusing as all heck to GORGEOUS, TEXTBOOK cycles (which inevitably wound up to be fertile as they soon got pregnant). I implement major diet changes, and my body rebels?? Does it miss bread and cheese that much??

I'm so over it. All this drama from my body.

In other, better news, I started my new job with the new NaPro Center this week, but unfortunately there has not been much for me to do yet since they are still waiting for their actual office space to open. There is an ultrasound machine, and I could technically start scanning, but there are a bunch of "logistics" to the patient registration, etc. that have to be combed out before I do that. I am truly excited about this center, though, and I think it will have great success :) I'm so honored to be a part of it!

And for those of you wondering, I have kept my promise to Gloria, and I've said a rosary every single day, and plan to continue through Lent. It works out well on my ride in to work in the mornings (thanks for the tip, alliemich!)

And to end things on a TOTALLY different note, my DH and I are looking into restoring the old Chickering piano we had "thrown in" to the house deal. We sent the restoration place pictures of it before we bought the house, and they dated it at 1895! At the time, we thought our house was built in 1900, so that pre-dated our house! (We've since discovered that our house was actually built in 1873 - HOW COOL!!! We found this out because our neighbors have a twin Victorian that was built at exactly the same time, and they threw a "Welcome to the Neighborhood Party" for us, and told us then that our houses were actually built in 1873!)
So, now that we are in the house, I was able to find the serial number and email it to the restoration place - at first he told me that wasn't the serial number, and to look again, but when I emailed him pictures of where I found it (it's quite obviously the serial number), he was confused. He said that serial number dated my piano at...

1835!!!!...
BUT, that he "knew for sure" it was NOT built in 1835. Apparently, they did not make upright pianos of that height back then (ours is 4 feet high).

So, now I'm wondering if our piano was specially-commissioned for someone of importance... hmmm... (probably not, but a woman can dream!) I guess I'll find out for sure when they take it in to restore it.

I have a really great post in my head that I'm saving for Lent. Sorry for the boring one today :)

17 comments:

Praying for Hope said...

It's not a boring post. I find the piano and house stories fascinating. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. It would be cool to live in a house built before my great-grandparents were born or before any of my family were even in this country. And an old piano thrown in is awesome. Sorry about the cycle woes. It never ends.

Perfect Power in Weakness said...

So sorry to hear about your spotting. With all that you have done to better your health, you have ever right to be frustrated that your body is not cooperating. Praying the spotting stops and/or you get answers to its origin. And I love the story about the piano....so very cool. I can't wait to hear more on your findings with it.

Nicole C said...

Love the piano news! :) I finally got the old upright that I used to practice on and I love it. Can't wait to start teaching my son!

About the rosary - are you podcasting in the car? I do that and it helps so much!

The Comeaus said...

Your posts are never boring.

About the dietary changes/bad cycle, I don't want it to seem that I'm trivializing the confusion and irritation you're feeling, and I'm probably repeating something you already know, but...sometimes things get REALLY ugly before they get better, especially when it comes to hormones. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but there can be a month or two of chaos as the body adjusts, including a few bad cycles.

I wish I could say something more meaningful or helpful. You must know that, all things considered, your new diet is going to do you a lot of good in the long run. I'll be praying for you, as usual.

allyouwhohope said...

My cycles and hormones took six months to normalize after starting a low-glycemic diet.. so maybe your cycles just need a little more time? I hope that's it and that you start seeing improvement soon (hopefully sooner than six months!)

callmemama said...

My doctor told me to expect 3-6 months for cycle adjustments when I started the progesterone cream/made diet changes. Don't get too discouraged - sometimes things get wacky before they get better. Your body is struggling to normalize, but it's so used to doing what it's always done that it might fight you first!
So cool about your house and your piano!!!! I love it!

Little JoAnn said...

None of your posts are ever ever boring. And, I hope this is a "bust" cycle, because "bust" cycles are best!!!

Chasing said...

Sorry about the cycle business :-( The piano discovery is pretty cool. Am I the only one that thought cumulus oopherus should be the name of a cloud?

Katie @ Persevere in Prayer said...

The 2 cycles I was on Femara, I didn't ovulate at all. I only ovulated with Clomiphene. Glad to hear Femara is working for you! Not so sure about the bleeding...sorry :(

That's so cool about your house and piano! It's neat to find out the history behind things :)

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

UGH. I'm just starting a similar diet and that's NOT what I want to hear. So sorry, friend. Last time I tried a heavy duty vitamin regime compliments of Marylin Shannon my cramps ended up being SOOOO bad that I threw a temper tantrum and flushed the remaining pills down the toilet! So I recommend...cheese and chocolate fondue for you! :)

CS said...

I have lots of TEBB too - good luck getting rid of it! I can't seem to...

St. Rita's Roses said...

I was thinking what little joann wrote, "maybe its a bust cycle" I hear that the busted ones are the best! I agree with the others, your posts are so good! Love them. I even love more on how you US yourself. It cracks me up!

barbie said...

I would give it longer than 1 cycle before saying
The diet is making it worse. I would think it will
Get better with time. I'm having some post peak spotting
Myself and share you frustration! LOVE the house piano stories!!!!

JellyBelly said...

Stupid TEBB. I had some this cycle too :(

Thanks for the rosary in the car tip! I got a CD at my parish's religious articles store and it's great! Yay Gloria!

How cool about your piano!!!!

the misfit said...

1873? You totally win. "My" house (we shall see) was built in 1898. And I have been wanting a Chickering square grand for AAAAGES...I can't believe you got one thrown in with your house!! I knew just where I was going to put the piano in the tan house, but there really is no room for it in the house it looks like we'll have...maybe I don't get to have a piano. :( More importantly - I'm sorry about the spotting. I haven't been able to kick mine with progesterone either, and I'm thinking maybe I should look into the matter more deeply. Antibiotics? I assume you've already tried those...maybe your body needs a month to clear out all the debris, and you will have a textbook cycle NEXT month.

Sissy said...

I loved learning about your piano. That is really cool!

E said...

WTF is up with your body? I am over diets, too. Just sick of them. You have way more will power than me!! On the other hand, maybe that brown bleeding was just your system clearing out and your next cycle will be beautiful.

That piano sounds awesome! Our houses were built around the same time, our was 1856. :)