Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Quick Update

I'm so glad all of you were so supportive of my health and marriage in your comments on my last post. I wasn't writing about the fact that I would be cancelling my ski trip for a new patient who needs an ultrasound series because I wanted you all to "let me off the hook," though. Rather, I wanted to show that infertility is such a huge part of my life, even when it's not my own. Maybe especially when it's not my own. Who knows. But having lived through so much of this journey, I cannot in good conscience cancel this girl's series. I just can't.

But I did take your advice and decide to make plans with my hubby for Valentine's Day. Since I had no follow-ups scheduled that day, we decided to go on our own day ski trip to the Poconos. If anyone needs an ultrasound that day, they can do it in the evening when I return.

To also clarify for many of you who asked if she could just travel elsewhere for the ultrasound series, the answer is no. My NaPro Dr is the ONLY Dr that Dr Hilgers will refer his east-coast patients to for the NaPro Ultrasound Series. Now, of course, for many of you who live nowhere near Omaha OR New Jersey, I'm sure you've had to get by going to a local hospital or imaging center with instructions for the series. BUT for any of our patients, we do not send them elsewhere because we do it here exactly the way we want it. It'd be like Dr Hilgers and PPVI sending patients down the road to another Dr for a laparoscopy ;)

Soon, there will be THREE places in the country that offer the NaPro Ultrasound Series - my new job with Dr B in New Brunswick!


Speaking of the new job, I went for my physical the other day and they gave me a TB test. I came straight to my NaPro office afterwards to work, and was talking to the secretary about how much I hate the TB test, and she looked at me crooked and asked why. I started to explain because they inject that stuff into your arm and it stings the entire time, etc. etc. and the secretary just started to laugh. She then said to me, "After all you've been through, it's just so funny that you find the TB test to be an annoyance!"

I had to laugh with her. It's so true! But maybe I can see the merit to all of those other tortuous procedures and treatments I've endured, and that's why I don't complain about them too much. Whatever the reason, it's pretty funny :)

15 comments:

The Comeaus said...

"But having lived through so much of this journey, I cannot in good conscience cancel this girl's series. I just can't."

Hey, I totally respect and admire that. I kind of had a feeling you wouldn't cancel it, and I think your compromise for Valentine's Day sounds very nice!

Katie @ Persevere in Prayer said...

I think it's great that you're helping out a fellow infertile and sacrificing your time :) And it's okay to be annoyed by a TB test because it IS annoying! lol

the misfit said...

I respect your consideration of the other IF girl - now what I'd like to see is that consideration shared by the doctor, so he would care about his patients enough to do his own job and you wouldn't have to cancel your plans to do it for him.

Just a thought...and, I think your compromise is a sensible one :).

Sunshine said...

I was thinking about this very thing the other day. I have a friend who is doing Napro and she has been asked to run the Respect Life office in a major diocese. She lives a very busy life and I often wonder if she could conceive if she just slowed down a little bit. (I know I know NOTHING) but then I think WHO ELSE will do the job her bishop asked her to do? What she is doing and what you are doing are both very needed in the world.

I'm glad you can get out with your husband for Valentine's Day- have a great time!!!

And that is a hoot about the TB shot!

JellyBelly said...

You are truly my hero! I wish I lived closer to you so you could do my ultrasounds! Now that would bring us to a whole new level of friendship!

Can't wait to hear about your adventures in the Poconos!

JellyBelly said...

And I totally agree about the TB test. Any tests that aren't IF-related are a waste of my time!

Simone said...

Glad to hear you were able to work something out that could make you and DH happy and the patient. I get my US done every month locally. It is really hard bc it is a RE clinic. THey actually admitted to me once that only one nurse is certified to do them and she showed the rest.... SO depending on who I get, sometimes it is a nightmare. I have some stuff on my ovary that I may want you to look at with Dr. B, I have this ball of fluid and some possible hemorrhagic cysts that have been there for months. I need to wait until the snow clears up because it is a long drive.

doctorgianna said...

Thank God for you and your ability to do the Ultrasound Series the correct way! My biggest headache in practicing NaPro is getting the ultrasonographer and radiologist to give me what I want when I order an ultrasound. It's really frustrating.

Nicole C said...

I didn't know u were in NJ! I was referred to your doc for the US series. Didn't work out. :(

E said...

Ha, ha, that is funny about the TB test!!

Thankful said...

Simply put: you are an incredible person. Have fun in the Poconos.

Ann - Building a Nest said...

I hope you have a wonderful time with your DH.

callmemama said...

Funny, I've never felt a sting with the TB test (had to have it done every year with the army, and just did it again for HS). It is a gross test though - that little bubble under the skin....nasty.
I'm glad you still get to get away with your husband!

St. Rita's Roses said...

I had no clue that only two US centers do the napro u/s series!! This really is such a shame. That is why I came for my first US with you the second time around. (hope that made sense to you) Secular hospital had no clue what they were doing the first time and they kept asking me, "why are you here" "for what"??

I hope you have a great V-day with DH!

Does this mean you are off when Dr. T is off...some time off for ya?

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

Nope... it means I'm ON all week for whoever's ovaries may be ready to pop while the Dr's away ;)
Hehe!