Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Put That in your Stool Sample Kit and Mail it"

This became my new catch-phrase yesterday, after I said it to DH ;)

(I'm going to skip right over the IL/money stuff in this post, suffice to say we will be moving forward with the lawyer shortly and hopefully work things out. Things just cannot continue like this.)

Anyway, I am all set to do my stool sample as recommended by the NaPro Dr out in California, to test for yeast primarily. In order to do it properly, I had to stop taking all vitamins and minerals for 3-4 days. I'm on day 2 of no supplements. I feel the difference. As do my bowels (or lack thereof).

I am also at the end of my unmedicated (no Metformin) cycle, and have all of my labwork results. My regular NaPro Dr went over them with me yesterday and was surprised to see that aside from my LH/FSH ratio being elevated (almost 3:1), nothing else in the labs would tip her off that I even have PCOS :) My androgens, testosterone, DHEA, etc. were all very low in normal ranges! I am so happy! I seem to be getting healthier. She wants me to try staying off Metformin for the time being, and I'm ok with that. I guess it was my crutch drug after all, and as long as I'm eating healthy, I don't really need it. (For now.)

My hormones pre and post-Peak were good, except progesterone was a tad on the low side unmedicated. I'm not so bummed by that, and already knew it based on the premenstrual spotting I always get when I'm not taking progesterone. Actually I suspected they would be much worse without Metformin. We were already planning on giving compounded progesterone a shot, and I'll be doing that this upcoming cycle.

I'm banking on the fact that getting my nutrition and diet in gear will in turn have even more positive impact on my ovarian hormone function.

Thyroid hormones were great. The Free T3, which Dr D in CA wanted to see above 3.5 was only 3.0. However, this was the first unmedicated cycle, and my adrenals are not yet working at their optimal capacity. There has been improvement already just in the short time in which I've been implementing these dietary changes, and it went from 2.8 to 3.0. I am going to give it another several cycles and test again before making the decision whether or not to go back on T3. I obviously would much rather not have to a) pay so much per month and b) live "by the clock" for the remainder of my reproductive years, but I'm not wholly opposed to being on a medication that can help me to live healthier and function better.

Once we are in the house (and yes, we believe we will be closing, thanks to the emergency fund I've been saving for years but was hoping not to have to deplete), I will be contacting the nutritionist Dr D recommended. I may also decide to contact this place, which I've looked into oh about 100 times already but never made the move to make an actual appointment. I have no idea why, since I've tried just about everything else... actually LSW was suggested to me by a fellow Practitioner who has PCOS. I will let you know if I move forward with them.

Finally, to end on a very positive note, my DH became a Knight of Columbus last night! He's at his first meeting right now. I'm so proud of him! You should have seen him showing off his little pin and rosary to me last night, it was too cute. This was the man who, when we were first dating, told me he thought our souls became dirt and trees and grass when we died... ;)

16 comments:

barbie said...

wow that's a blog title! ha ha. Love it. Can't wait to her what it says though, very interesting. GREAT news about your hormones etc getting better! Go healthy you! You are on your way girl!

JellyBelly said...

Stool samples are never fun!! I can't even imagine what was going through your mind at the post office!!!

Congrats to the hubs!!!! He's going to love being a knight (at least Mr JB does!).

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Congrats to your hubby! That is wonderful!

Awesome news about your health! I'm amazed at what eating right can do!

Thankful said...

Congrats to Mr. TCIE! This post is full of good news- no met, mailed poo, good numbers. Way to go!

Sew said...

"Live by a clock for the remainder of my reproductive years" I would do in a heartbeat...So I will just live by the clock until my old ass dies. ;) hahahaha Just juicing you. One woman's blessing is another womans trash. ;) Did I even say that right...

But seriously, I would not wish this thyroid hell on anyone and I'm glad things are improving for you in that department.....

Ship your shit honey! :)

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

Oh, get your thyroid cancer guilt off my blog, Sew :P

Mary said...

bahahahaha "ship your shit" Sew you crack me up!!!

Yay for better numbers! And Knights of Columbus! :)

I am Roni said...

Nice to hear that things are working out fine to both of you. More good news soon ;)

the misfit said...

Congrats to your DH :). I'm relieved to hear you have a way to go through with the house. Everything else you have to deal with will be easier if you have your own place, I'm sure. And as to your title - you're hilarious. Good luck with the rest of the...testing...

JoAnna said...

My DH is a Knight, too! He loves it. I have the badge thingie that says, "I'm a Knight's Lady."

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

Yea for your husband!

CRACKED up at your title!!!!! Stool samples are hard enough without having to MAIL it!!! Good grief!!!

Megan said...

The title is hilarious! When they ask at the post office if the contents is perishable... ;)

Sounds like good news about getting healthier! Always a good thing!

Yay about the house, and yay about your DH and the K of C! They are always trying to recruit my DH, but he's not sure about the outfits... yep, he's deep like that. :) haha

Joy Beyond the Cross said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Sorry...I messed up my prior attempt at commenting - here we go again. :)

Blog title - priceless. Awesome. Seriously, the things that infertility requires sometimes - boggles the mind.

Congratulations on your husband becoming a KC, what an honor! At what point does he get to carry the sword and have one of those (for lack of a better term) - interesting looking hats? I love it when they are part of the Mass - it appears they are serving the King - which they are always, but I like the visual representation.

Angela said...

Congratulations to your DH! How awesome!

mrsblondies said...

Congratulations to R on K of C. I'm glad to hear your hormones are getting healthier even unmedicated. Glad to hear everything is moving forward on the house still even though the financial situation is not sorted out yet like you hope it would be.