Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saint Gerard, October 16th

Just a quick post to remind everyone that today is the Feast of Saint Gerard, the Patron of Expectant Mothers, Safe Deliveries, and those who wish to conceive.

Here is a prayer for those of you in my camp:

Prayer for Motherhood
O good St Gerard, powerful intercessor before God and wonder worker of our day, confidently I call upon you and seek your aid. On Earth you always fulfilled God's designs, help me now to do the holy will of God. Implore the Master of Life, from whom all paternity proceeds, to render me fruitful in offspring, that I may raise up children to God in this life, and in the world to come, heirs to the Kingdom of His Glory.
Amen.

(The prayers for expectant mothers and safe deliveries can be found here: http://www.praying4ababy.com/stgerard.html

I missed the special Mass for those praying to conceive, at the St Lucy Church in Newark (I believe this is THE national shrine of St Gerard, but if not, then it's A shrine at least.) We also missed it last year, but went on his actual Feast Day of October 16th. So hopefully we can make it up there for Mass tonight.


To clear any confusion... yes, I still pray that one day I may conceive. AND I pray that the doors to adoption and foster care will open and we'll be able to do either of those. I'm ok with the fact that none of these may ever happen, but I will never stop praying that if it be God's will, His will be done.

Happy Feast Day, St. Gerard!

11 comments:

Complicated Life said...

Thank you! I think I might pray that prayer on the hour every hour today! ;)

Ann - Building a Nest said...

Thank you! I pray that for you, too. I started my novena to him a tad late so I won't be finishing it up until the 18th.

JellyBelly said...

Thanks for the reminder! We're going to mass tonight instead of tomorrow morning and I will be sure to say some extra prayers to St. Gerard!

Megan said...

Thanks for the reminder! I will offer my Mass tonight for you and all the other ladies still waiting for their miracles!

The Comeaus said...

I did not even know when his feast day was, which is sad since we have a bit of a special history with him. Thank you for the reminder.

Amazing Life said...

Thought about you alot today! I was listening to a priest talk about faith is HARD!!!

Sure, we can all pray and ask him to answer our prayers but when our prayers reveal to us our cross alot of people "get off the train". I thought about you and all of us who have 'stayed on the train' and lugged our heavy cross across the rivers of tears we shed begging God to comfort us in our distress and we can only find our strength in Christ's great love for us.

I haven't been able to find the words to tell you how much I keep you and your husband in prayer these days. It seems like my husband were there for many years, just waiting on God to answer our prayers for a growing family with no idea of how God was going to pull that off ;) Trying to live faithfully that God would answer our prayers but knowing that we had a calling to live in joy while we waited (I failed so often, by the way) and I see you two doing that so gracefully right now, way better than I ever could!

I am praying . . . too that you will have open doors growing your family. Know that you are being covered in prayer!

eligelavida said...

Hi!

I am a committed Catholic, from Spain.

I invite you to visit my blog ‘eligelavida’ (choose LIFE).

http://eligelavidanet.blogspot.com/

Tridentine Wife said...

Thank you for reminding me of this, I'm never up on the saint's feast days as much as I should be.

the misfit said...

St. Gerard and I are not friends, because I had never heard of him at all before I became infertile AND people started sending St. Gerard prayer cards. He is therefore The Saint I Didn't Want to Have to Learn About; also The Saint of Semi-Good-Natured But Nevertheless Fairly Paternalistic Meddling in my Life. (I meddle in the lives of others, but I more or less wait for permission.)

So thank you for this update - and I am additionally grateful that as I am reading it, it is already the 17th.

Sorry, St. Gerard - I would just be so much happier if there were no reason for me to know who you were. It's not personal.

Vent-ilation said...

I have said that prayer a lot. I learned about him from my mom, who, right before I finally conceived, found her copy of a St. Gerard prayerbook from when she was pregnant with me! It's a small, tattered book that still gets use.

Misfit, I also pray to him for healing in general. But I liked your comment about not being friends with him.

Suzie-Q T-Pie said...

Beautiful! I prayed this prayer Sunday. :)