Monday, October 4, 2010

House News and Recipe

Ho hum, so this is what has become of my blog...

Well, you may have noticed that I haven't updated on the house in a while. It's not because nothing's happening, it's just because I've learned from my life in the past 4 years not to put all my eggs in one basket and expect everything to work out the way that I plan. I am not anxious about the house not going through, but I am leaving it in God's hands, and if it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be.

(Gosh, if I read this 4 years ago I would never in a million years guess it was coming from me.)

Second, the updates on the house are not all that exciting. Basically, we've applied for the mortgage, we are submitting all kinds of paperwork, the inspection is done and the appraisal is getting done tomorrow... it's all kind of boring :) The good stuff will be the renovations and pictures once we're in.

One good piece of news was that I sent pictures of the old piano (a Chickering upright) to a piano restoration business here in NJ, and they estimated that it is from around 1895!!! It may be older than the house!! AND, once it is reconditioned and refinished, it could be worth about $20,000. Ummmm... yeah, I think we got a pretty good deal getting that "thrown in!"

Here's a picture for those who may have been interested:



For the past week I've been replicating a brand new recipe my husband came up with for me. (He's a classically trained chef, for those who don't know.) He wanted to make me a yummy hot quinoa dish, and boy did he ever! I can't get enough of it! We're calling it coconut/cashew quinoa. (Trying saying that 10 times fast.)

Here's the recipe:

Sautee a clove of garlic, minced, in olive oil in a large pot.
Over medium-high heat, throw in about 1/2 cup whole cashews and toast.
Put in a cup of quinoa, uncooked, to toast it in the garlic/cashew oil.
Immediately put in about 3 Tbs coconut flakes to flavor the quinoa as it's toasting.
Before the quinoa burns, put in 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or 1 cup chicken stock, 1/2 cup water, etc).
Cook the quinoa for about 20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
(Optional - add a dash of white pepper and about 2 Tbs Agave Nectar for more flavor.)
Fluff with a fork.
Serve, and eat for days on end without getting sick of it. Ever.

I end up doubling the recipe, myself, because 1 cup just doesn't cut it.

15 comments:

barbie said...

That piano is AMAZING! So beautiful! I love it.............:)

some how, some way, some day said...

What a beautiful piano! Do you play? Hubby and I love quinoa. I've bee trying that recipe:)

Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

Holy moly that piano is amazingly beautiful....wow!

lowly said...

Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it!

Megan said...

What a gorgeous piano! Holy crap about the value!

That recipe sounds awesome! I may have to try it!
I once met a little boy named Quinoa... I thought, "isn't that a type of rice or something..."

JellyBelly said...

Gorgeous piano!!! What a great deal you got!!!

Gonna have to try that recipe. I love quinoa!

Danya @ He Adopted Me First said...

Yummmm. So healthy. I am really impressed that a man invented that (thus my velveeta post a while back). I took a cooking class on alternative grains and quinoa was my fav. I thought it was a little bland though - so I am excited about your suggestion of adding cashews and coconut! Brilliant!

Thankful said...

WOW! The piano is absolutely beautiful. Also, the recipe sounds delish and fairly quick.

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

GORGEOUS piano!!! And life married to a chef? Not bad!!! :)

Second Chances said...

It's ok what's become of your blog. I love reading your posts! I can't wait to see what happens on the house front. And yes, that piano is a huge treasure! Maybe you should bring it on that antique road show! And I wish I could try that recipes, but I lost count of how many things I'm allergic to in it...I'm such a nerd :(

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

Wow, the piano!!!! And, it's just dreamy that dh is a classically trained chef! My dh loves to cook (thank the Lord, since I don't), but is not classically trained!! You are blessed in so many ways!

Sunshine said...

Love the piano- your recipe sounds great!

the misfit said...

That really does sound good. LOOOOOVE the piano. So excited for your house.

callmemama said...

That's awesome about the piano! We had an old upright player piano in our shop in La. my whole childhood and I always dreamed of having it restored.
That recipe looks fantastic, too. I'll have to give it a try!

Suzie-Q T-Pie said...

Love the piano!
The recipe sounds yummy! :)