Monday, September 20, 2010

We just bought a really old, still-working refridgerator for $500

Yes. That's right.

Shall I clarify that?

We went in to make our best and final counter-offer today, after taking a quick peak in the shed out back. I noticed a gas mower, and asked for that to be thrown in, along with the antique piano, and made the offer.

The realtor was not too pleased, we could tell. He, I think, thought we should be going closer to the counter-offer price they had come down to, which, as he put it, was "very fair" and "lower than they had originally indicated they would be willing to come down." We stayed firm, told him the most we could do, whether we wanted to pay more or not, was $227,500. (And then we had the audacity to ask for the piano and mower, too, haha!) But to try to sweeten the deal a bit, I asked DH if we could ask for $5,000 in closing costs instead of $7,000. So that's what we did.

The realtor made it sound like he wasn't sure what would happen, and that they had been arguing with the one son for quite some time because he wanted to re-list it with a different realtor for a higher price, etc. Well, whatever. It's worth a shot, we thought. Then he pulled out the "scare tactic" of "So, if they don't accept this, do you want to go ahead and make an offer on the other house, or do you want to see it again? I know they want 24 hrs notice before any showings..." (We saw right through this, by the way.) "Um, we'll have to think about that," we told him.

He called me back during a Creighton Model Intro I was giving at about 5:00pm.

I checked my voicemail at 6:00pm, and he left a message asking me to call him back.

He said, "Well, I got some news for you, and I think you'll be very happy with it!" (Here I was already getting ready for him to say that they came down to $235,000 or something like that.) He continued, "They didn't accept your counter. BUT, they conceded to all of the things you had asked for. The mower, the piano, the water pump in the basement, and they also want to throw in the refridgerator/freezer in the basement. They also agreed to paying $5,000 towards closing costs. And they came down to...

$228,000."

My poker face (er, voice) was gone at that point.

"What??!!! Really??!"

"Yes, it's a pretty great deal!"

"Well, we were definitely firm about that $227,500 offer, but I THINK we can scrounge together another $500 to close the deal!"

So... we go in tomorrow to sign all the papers, it will go into attorney review, and by the end of the week, the house should be OFF the market!

Here's a quick re-cap of how it went down:

Asking Price: $250,000

Our Offer: $220,000 with seller paying $7,000 in closing costs, the water pump

Their Counter: $238,500 with seller paying $7,000 in closing costs, the water pump

Our Counter: $227,500 with seller paying $5,000 in closing costs, the water pump, the piano, the mower

Their Counter: $228,000 with seller paying $5,000 in closing costs, the water pump, the piano, the mower... and the old refridgerator/freezer in the basement

And that is the story of the day we bought a really old, still-working refridgerator for $500 :)

(PS, I have another post from earlier today, and it's a good one, so don't miss it.)

37 comments:

Xan said...

Congratulations!!!!!

some how, some way, some day said...

Yay!!

mrsblondies said...

So exciting! You'll have to show a picture of the fridge soon.

Nicole said...

whohoo!! you stuck to your guns and sounds like you got a great deal. I am so happy for you!

Complicated Life said...

Woo hoo!

PS My word verification for this is "poophil." Haha. (yes, I have the maturity of a jr high student.)

ALIVEINHOPE said...

Congratulations! SO excited for you!! : )

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

CL - I hope that's no indication of what type of property I just bought...!!

JellyBelly said...

WOOHOO!!!!!

I'm over the moon for you!!!!

[insert happy dance here}

Amazing Life said...

WOOOHOOOO!!!! I anm so freaking excited for you!!!

I love it, all the bargaining!

This is going to be such an adventure, I am so happy for you two!! Congratulations!

On a side note, I loved your comment today on my post ;) It made my day!!

callmemama said...

Yay! Congratulations!!

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Congratulations! This is awesome news!

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


(CL's word verification was interesting, but so is mine: fardid)

More Than Anything said...

How exciting!!!! Congratulations! WHOO HOOO!!!

Brit said...

awesome!! Congratulations!! :)

allyouwhohope said...

Yay! Congrats!!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Woo hoo!! Congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures when it is all TCIE-ified!

Trustful Surrender said...

That's GREAT!!!! CONGRATS!!!

polkadot said...

How exciting!!

Megan said...

Hooray!!! :)
haha I'm so excited that when I went to type in the gibberish on the word verification I mindlessly started to type exclamation points... it didn't work. :)

Thankful said...

That is wonderful!!! Way to stand firm ($500 is no biggie in the end) and get three additional items!

Jess said...

Ha! That's awesome! You're good at bartering if I do say so myself! This is really neat to read, because we just may be making an offer on a house this coming week, too. I bet you can't WAIT to move in.

EloĆ­sa said...

¡Viva, viva, viva!!!! Hurray!!!!!! Great news!!! I am so very happy for you. Now I have to go to the Basilica of Guadalupe to give thanks!!!

Casey said...

How wonderful! Congrats!!

Sew said...

SSSSSSSOOOOOOO Happy for you! Thanks for the text B&^%$! :)

Ann - Building a Nest said...

It's about time something went smoothly for you! Congratulations! So happy for you!

Praying for Hope said...

Congratulations!

LifeHopes said...

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, this aint no poophil ha ha!!!

What a DEAL! Good for you for sticking to your guns!!! Congratulations!

Sarah Johnson said...

Amy, I am so incredibly happy for you! That is awesome news! :) Have fun remodeling YOUR new house!

Jodi said...

Great news Ames! So excited for you guys!!!

the misfit said...

YAAAAAY! I have to admit I was concerned by the title there for a minute. "I was sure TCIE was a better bargain-shopper than that. That's too much for a used refrigerator! Unless it's some sort of antique...?"

But I am delighted by the explanation. So happy for you! Does you guys buying a house just a few weeks (months?) after you started looking at things on the market when I've been looking for two years with no serious prospects qualify as me being lapped? I kid, I kid. Congrats!

dawn827 said...

Congrats! I'm happy for you! We will be buying a house soon too.

Angela said...

Congratulations!!! I want to see pictures of the piano and the 'fridge!

Suzie-Q T-Pie said...

YAY!! So excited for you. Yeah, I want pics of this piano and fridge too! :)

The Comeaus said...

Congratulations!!!!! I can't believe you went from the unhappiness of a few weeks ago to THIS. God is good!

It's going to be so much fun reading about how you spruce the place up.

WOW!!!!

Shannon said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME~!!

(p.s. thanks for your prayers :) )

Monica said...

Hi TCIE,
This is Hafsa's SIL. I was wondering if you could give me a bit more information about becoming a Creighton Model practicioner? My email addrss is monica dot borel at gmail dot com. THanks!

Susie_G said...

Congrats, Ames! So exciting!