Monday, August 16, 2010

Good Things - Father Mike

I don't have much to add about my weekend that wasn't already so well articulated by JellyBelly (Frustrated Musings of a Seemingly Calm Gal). But I did want to share a couple more thoughts about Father Mike, the priest that prayed over us on Sunday.

First, I find it no small coincidence that the one day that worked for all of us was the Feast of the Assumption. We soon discovered after speaking to Father Mike in the rectory a few minutes, that he has a very great devotion to our Lady.

I was moved almost to tears when he told us that the biggest sacrifice for him personally in becoming a priest was giving up having children. He said he didn't feel the same big sacrifice in giving up having a wife, because he still enjoys female friendships, etc. But that he had always envisioned having many, many children. He even said that early in his priesthood, the thought of what he "gave up" for God would bring him to tears.

We found an infertile priest!!! How perfect!!

He added that he had been engaged before entering the seminary, and he later found out that the woman he was engaged to wound up, you guessed it, infertile! So, it would seem no matter which way he played the cards he was dealt, Father Mike was meant to be "infertile."

But then he said Mary would get him through those rough times. He feels very strongly that this "gift" he has in praying over couples who cannot conceive, is his gift from Mary - that in a way, she is granting him a different modality of bringing children into the world. How beautiful! I am so surprised I didn't start bawling right then and there.

So, we spoke for a long time, and then we went over to the church and he prayed the Hail Mary with us, the Memorare, and gave us all individual blessings, laying his hands on our heads. Every moment of that day I wish I could just bottle up and keep forever. I felt such peace in giving our fertility to Mary (a task I have tried before, every year on our Consecration date of the Assumption, but have never truly been able to do it). Looking at the beautiful statue of Our Lady of Perpetual Help really comforted me. I know Mary will help to make BOTH me and JellyBelly mothers. I just know it.

Father Mike said he doesn't always feel this way, but that after praying over us both he felt "really good" about us going on to conceive.

I can't wait to share that good news with him, and to introduce him to another one of "his children." :)

25 comments:

JellyBelly said...

I wouldn't really say that my last post was well articulated, I was so distracted that it took me FOREVER to write it! Thanks for capturing the essence of our conversation with Fr. Mike. I've been reliving the moments we had with him in the rectory and I know that we were in the presence of a very holy and blessed man.

I know that the Holy Spirit guided us to him since we have both been going through a particularly hard time (well, you especially, I'm just impatient!).

We had such a wonderful weekend with you guys. I've said more than once to Mr. JB that I felt like we've known one another FOREVER. We also hope that we didn't seem so "out there" -- we know that we both have quirky personalities, thank God that he brought us together!

I truly believe that visiting St. Gianna's Shrine and then seeing Fr. Mike was a turning point for us. I'll send you the photos when we get home!!!

p.s. I'm going to pray extra hard for you at St. Ann's Shrine tomorrow! :)

Complicated Life said...

Where is the shrine and where is Fr. Mike?? I should make a trip out there!

So glad you guys got to get together and do this!

Megan said...

Wow! This is amazing! I am filled with hope for you and JB just reading this!
Fr. Mike's story is also amazing; thanks for sharing! Praying for you!

Danya @ He Adopted Me First said...

So wonderful! That is a gift for sure!

allyouwhohope said...

I'm so glad you got to experience Fr. Mike!! I remember just being on cloud nine for days. We just couldn't believe what we had experienced! And I also remember being in awe of his desire for children and the infertility of the woman he might have married. And the stories of his first healings.. I remember we thought it could have been a movie!

Fr. Mike told us, too, that he gets a feeling one way or another after praying with a couple. He told us he doesn't say what it is, but as we were later leaving he said to make sure we invite him to the baptism. You better believe I took that to heart! And now more than three years later I'll soon, God-willing, be able to!

Ann - Building a Nest said...

What a sweet story from Fr. Mike.

I'm so glad you had a good trip and got to meet up with Jelly Belly. Lucky!

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

I want to know even more about this amazing, holy priest! I would love to know more about the stories of the couples, but I am sure he is so humble that he doesn't publicize it! Wow!!!

Good fruit will come, no doubt!! :)

Thankful said...

First of all, how fun to meet up with Jelly Belly! To follow that up with such a defining experience in your journies - it gives me the chills.

Shannon said...

oh my goodness. this is beautiful. beautiful. beautiful.
you CONTINUE to be in my prayers, both of you.

Cathy said...

Amazing! I'm so excited for you both!!

LifeHopes said...

Wow. I am just SO amazed at his obvious gift!!! I cannot wait to see it come to fruition for both of you. You are both on my daily prayer list by name. Its only a matter of time!

Tridentine Wife said...

Wow it sounds like you had a great time and the priest you met sounds awesome!

Faith makes things possible said...

What an amazing story about that priest! I've never really thought about the fact that when they join, they are "giving up" having children. What a beautiful blessing that y'all were able to meet with him!!!

the misfit said...

What an extraordinary priest. I'm so glad you were able to meet him.

barbie said...

He sounds amazing, I hope he gets to hear that news from you both very soon!

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

"a different modality of bringing children into the world"

Wow! Just wow!

Amazing Life said...

Wow, your time with Fr. Mike sounds "God-appointed"!

Praying for all of you, including Fr. Mike :)

Abigail said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing! The vocation to the priesthood is such a wonderful gift to the whole Church.

Miracle in the Making said...

Wow, I love Fr Mike! Amazing day! Always praying with you!

mrsblondies said...

What an amazing trip! How wonderful that you got to meet such a wonderful and blessed priest and spend time with JB and her husband at the same time.

WheelbarrowRider said...

I love this post so much, what an amazing trip and what a blessing to have met this "infertile" priest. You described it so well and how encouraging!

Suzie-Q T-Pie said...

I am so happy for you. This was truly a wonderful post, and I am so excited you were able to be prayed over like that. :)

Sunshine said...

I sense good things coming for you TCIE! I am filled with joy for you!

Vent-ilation said...

Father Mike sounds amazing! Even though he doesn't have his "own" children, he does in a way, when the couples he prays over have children. He sounds like someone who will play a role in your lives, even after this weekend.

The Comeaus said...

You are SO blessed to have had such an encounter with the Holy Spirit through this priest! God really does help us to bear the burdens He allows us to have, doesn't He? In His own beautiful way, He is always faithful. This is such a lovely post. :)