Sunday, July 25, 2010

Birthday

I am back from the AAFCP Annual Meeting, and spent the majority of my 29th birthday driving - through South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. That may be a record for number of States in 12 hours on one's birthday.

It has not been a terrific day, however. While it started out wonderful, as I basked in the glory of God and His works in a dear friend's life (Check out Pray, Hope, Don't Worry)... it was also a day of mourning for me and my FIRST group of online IF buddies. Because today, we lost one of our own.

The "MGs" as we call ourselves, are a group of 12 amazing women who have all dealt with infertility, subfertility, and/or miscarriage. I met them on an online message board and chat rooms, and several of us have met IRL. MGs stood for "Mean Girls," because we were known for calling out the stupidity of some of the other board members (for example: "Can I stick an hpt in my toilet, I peed by accident and forgot to pee on the stick??") One of us, however, never really quite fit the definition of "Mean Girl," but we loved her so much we allowed her to stay :)

Kathleen was given a less than 2% chance of ever conceiving on her own. Shortly thereafter, you guessed it, she and her DH were expecting their miracle baby! When the baby was almost a year old, Kathleen was diagnosed with a very serious, life-threatening cancer. Her battle turned from Beat Infertility to Beat Cancer seemingly overnight. While she triumphed over the first, this morning she lost the second.

There are no words. But my consolation, and I hope what will be the consolation for her family and her DH now, is in the sweet angel of a miracle daughter that they will always have with them. A piece of Kathleen. Now, even more of a miracle than we ever even realized.

On a more positive note, I got to meet 2 amazing women this week- 1 was Dr Gianna, and let me just say she is TALL and gorgeous, with perhaps THE most beautiful toddler I have ever layed eyes on :) The second was one of my readers, that I discovered by accident!! I was speaking to a fellow Practitioner who was at her first AAFCP meeting, telling her about my treatments with NaPro, etc (as she is just now beginning with NaPro)... and suddenly she goes, "Ummm... do you by any chance have a blog??" Hahahaha!!! I'm pretty sure I turned beet red! BUSTED! I've been exposed!!

I have a ton more to write, most specifically about the hour long conversation I had with Dr. B (Ireland) about my case. More on that later.

Post-op with Dr S. tomorrow! Stay tuned.

25 comments:

Chasing said...

So sorry for your loss. I am eager to hear more about your conference and the convo with the doc. Happy Birthday.

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

I am so sorry about your friend. May God rest her sweet soul. And comfort her family.

Happy birthday, and I can't wait to hear more about the conference! So jealous you got to meet Dr. G! And I think it's great that you are famous! ;)

Betsy said...

Such beautiful words, Ames!! I will never forget all of you girls. You are precious to me & will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart!!!

Ann - Building a Nest said...

That is so sad about Kathleen. I cannot imagine what her family are going through. I’m so sorry.

I wondered if Dr. G would be there with you! The “hey, do you have a blog” conversation would probably mortify me(deny, deny, deny), you are definitely famous. It’s got to be the dumbbell shaped ovaries (that and all the knowledge & compassion you have to give others). Happy Birthday.

mrsblondies said...

I'm sorry sorry to hear about your friend. I'll be praying for her and her family.

Happy Birthday! How exciting that you got to meet Dr. G and I can't wait to hear more about the conference and your follow up.

JellyBelly said...

I am so sorry about your friend's passing. I will make sure to pray for the repose of her soul and for her family's comfort.

Can't wait to hear about your conference!

p.s. Happy Bday again!

Thankful said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. What an incredible story.

On the positive side - meeting Dr. G (and a reader) must have been great. And there are worse ways to spend a birthday than driving through some of those beautiful states (although, are your arms tired from all of the mountain curves?).

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. Praying that her family can *feel* the Lord's arms wrapped around them.

My Vocation is Love said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile & finally commenting. I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm always humbled by these stories because I'm reminded there are fates much worse than infertility. :(

LifeHopes said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

And I am also so sorry I just couldn't physically get my behind to that conference, even though we were so close. It was just not possible with the state I was in last weekend.

I cannot wait to hear more about your convo with Dr. B and your post-op with Dr. S.

Happy Birthday!!!

prayerfuljourney said...

Happy bday! That is sad news about your online friend. I will say a little prayer for her and her family.

Can't wait to hear about your post op appt. I just have good feelings for you.

WheelbarrowRider said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. I couldn't help but cry when I read what you wrote.
What an emotional crazy birthday you have had! I am praying for a great upcoming year for you.
I can't wait to hear about your post op and what Dr. B said about your case-so awesome you got to speak to him!

Fertile Thoughts said...

Hey A,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. That is such a sad story!!!

Happy belated birthday! It doesn't sound like you had a very nice one...with all the reaveling and all :(
I hopeyour birthday week gets better! prayers for tomorrows appt.
xo,
Amber

Fertile Thoughts said...

Hey A,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. That is such a sad story!!!

Happy belated birthday! It doesn't sound like you had a very nice one...with all the reaveling and all :(
I hopeyour birthday week gets better! prayers for tomorrows appt.
xo,
Amber

Angela said...

Oh I just read this, and I am so very sorry about your friend. That is so sad.

Happy late birthday though and I hear ya about the many hours of travel. We did 10.5 through FL, GA, SC and back to NC yesterday...oh yeah, with the 4 year old in tow ;) LONG trip!

Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

Awe, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Kathleen. It brought tears to my eyes because it reminded me of when DH and I lost our little one. It comforts me, though, to know that these little ones are playing on the playgrounds of heaven together:)

I bet you learned so much at the conference...tell us more!

Suzie-Q T-Pie said...

So sorry for your friend! Very sad.

Happy Birthday to you! :)

doctorgianna said...

It was so sad to read the last post that Kathy wrote herself less than a month ago. She was excited about her daughter peeing on the potty. I wonder if she knew then that her life was slipping away from her. It's so sad!

It was so great meeting you in Greenville! I loved putting a face and temperament with your blog. It makes it so much fun to read and to pray for you!

polkadot said...

It was such a privilege to meet you in person after reading your blog! Don't worry, your face wasn't beet red. :) I just had to ask if you had a blog when you said you were training to be a sonographer...how many CrMS practitioners do you know are doing that? Now you can read a little about me.

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Happy Late Birthday!

And I'm sorry about your friend. How heartbreaking.

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Happy Late Birthday!

And I'm sorry about your friend. How heartbreaking.

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Oh, and I can't wait to hear what Dr. B thinks!

the misfit said...

The loss of your friend is heartbreaking. She and her family will be in my prayers.

Praying for Hope said...

That's so sad about your friend, and so devastating for one so young (although ti's never easy at any age). I'd like to say she's in a better place now, but that's so trite. I'm praying for her and her family.

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Sorry this is belated - I was on vacation the last week. Happy Belated Birthday! I am so very sorry about your friend Kathleen. There are no words that seem adequate. I will just ask the intercession of the saints - St. Peregrine, pray for us!