Thursday, June 24, 2010

Brief Update

So I'm sitting in the grocery store at the Resort in Cancun, with 16 minutes remaining on my internet card... this will have to be short.

First off, thank you everyone for your prayers. I will fill you in on the LONG story when I get back, suffice to say I needed those prayers like you can't even imagine before my surgery. The morning of, due to unforseen "problems," I ended up driving MYSELF to Camp Hill, PA and going under anesthesia ALONE with no one there. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life, but it seems fitting for the way our (my DH's and my) luck as been as of late. The issue then imploded and made it so that DH could not come to Cancun :( I am here with my MIL, who is an RN (no longer practicing) but in the end it is a good thing because I am able to heal under her supervision. For some reason I was extremely "swollen" after surgery, and under my eyes, my lower pelvis, and ankles were FAT. I looked like a 7 month pregnant woman who had been punched in both eyes. Thankfully that has gone away.

It's also good that I am working on "healing" my relationship with MIL. She was so excited to have the opportunity to come to Cancun, and she and I have really been enjoying ourselves. She also practices Jin Shin-Jyitsu and has been giving me 1-2 treatments every day in the villa. It's been very nice.

And don't worry about DH. We'll plan another getaway sometime soon.

Now. As for the surgery:

I arrived at the hospital at 10:00am, and didn't end up getting an IV until 11:30. Then Dr Ste.gman was running late with his 1st surgery of the day and didn't get to me until 12:50pm. Before I was wheeled in, the anesthesiologist spoke to me, and she mentioned to one of the nurses (right in front of me) that "he is just chomping at the bit today." I asked her if she had been with Dr S during the 1st surgery, and she said, "No, I was in another one, and I was just about to do the 2nd one on MY schedule, when he pulled me to do yours, because you're special." Hehe, I must say, I like that Dr S pulled the anesthesiologist he wanted on the job just for me :)

When he came over, he was ALL BUSINESS. I tried to crack some little joke to kinda lighten the mood, but he was so matter-of-fact. Totally different than how he is in his office visits. I guess this goes along with how meticulous and particular of a surgeon he is. He prayed with me, and when he asked Our Lady to protect her daughter, I started to cry. He didn't see it, he had already walked away, but the nurse saw the tears flowing. I didn't cry before either of my other surgeries! I think it was all the pressure of being alone and knowing this was likely my very last hope with NaPro Technology.

The most important finding of the day was... drumroll please...

ADHESIONS!!!

Does anyone remember when I suspected adhesions last summer and wanted him to do another lap at the time of my selective HSG back then?? I KNEW IT!!

They were extensive, let's just put it that way. ALL OVER my ovaries, and especially on my left (it was "caked to the back wall"). My left ovary, as a reminder, is my strong one.
There was very very minimal endo, not even worth mentioning, really.

Afterwards I asked Dr S in recovery if he thinks removing the adhesions will improve my fertility, and as response he gave a giant NOD.

:)

I am healing very nicely, though the 3rd day was probably the roughest. My MIL warned me to expect that. Yesterday as a treat I bought myself some Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses at the local mall :)

OK, I only have 1 minute left, but I have so much more to say! It will have to wait.

Thank you again for all the prayers! Love you gals!

17 comments:

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Praise God! Great report! Sorry that your DH isn't in Cancun...but I hope you are still getting the rest and relaxation (and healing) that you need! God Bless!

mrsblondies said...

I'm glad to hear that the adhesions have been dealt with. I'm so sorry that you had to go to surgery by yourself and that your DH couldn't come to Cancun. It sounds like your MIL is taking great care of you and I'm glad you are working on improving your relationship. I hope you can get some rest and relaxation and Cancun is fun.

Sew said...

Love you, Miss you!

LifeHopes said...

I have been DYING to hear from you! Dang girl why'd you have to run away so far that I can't call you??!!!

Words cannot express how THRILLED I am for this outcome!!!

I have SUCH a good feeling for you, I cannot even explain it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, we were all close with you in spirit on that day. I am so sorry your DH was not able to make it.

If it makes you feel any better, in my last few surgeries, P couldn't be with me either bc he was DOING a surgery in the next room! Ugh! It made me mad.

Oh I am already thinking of baby names for you!!!!! he he:)

LifeHopes said...

OH and GO DR. S ADHESION DESTROYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOATHE ADHESIONS!!!!! I am the queen of all adhesions and if you become pg I am marching my little butt up to PA and seeing the adhesion slayer.

Patiently Waiting said...

Great news! Hope you are enjoying Cancun! Heal up and relax! I'll be praying for you!

Thankful said...

It's so good to hear from you! Great job on the table - and go Dr. S! Enjoy Cancun and the time with your MIL. Really, how often do people have the chance to get away with their MIL? Sorry that DH isn't there, but having a nurse as your bunk buddy must be nice!

Praying for Hope said...

Glad to hear the surgery went so well and that he found something that can make a difference. You remember an awful lot of yours. I can't remember much of mine at all. Too bad your husband couldn't be with you then or now. Going through surgery without your support person is unnerving.

barbie said...

So glad to hear from you. I'm sorry your dh couldnt' make it. praying for you!!

Leila said...

OH, I am so hopeful for you!!!!!!! Glad you are hanging in Cancun with an RN MIL!

JellyBelly said...

Praise the Lord for your doctor!!!! I'm so glad that he found something and fixed it!!!!

You're on the cusp, I can feel it!!!!

Angela said...

Oh your doctor is so awesome! I just loved that he prayed over you and invoked Our Lady! I'm so glad that he found and took care of the adhesions and am praying that this is just what you needed!

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

WONDERFUL!!!! But I'm so, so sorry that your hubby couldn't make the trip. You sound like you're taking it ok-but I am really bummed for you!

Chasing said...

So glad the surgery was a success! YOU.ARE.AMAZING.

Suzie-Q T-Pie said...

I am so happy they took care of thoes adhesions, and your healing! :) Sorry the DH couldn't go with you, but God had other plans ! heehee. It's good that your MIL could be there for you to help you heal, and hopefully your relationship too.
Have a great time girl! can't wait to hear more! :)

prayerfuljourney said...

I'm still trying to get over the fact that you flew to Cancun the day after that surgery! You are so strong...Geez...more so than I. Sounds like you got some promising results too. Makes the surgery worth it. Enjoy your trip and I think it's nice you are enjoying spending time with MIL. Sounds like she's being good to you!

WheelbarrowRider said...

Oh my gosh, I just read this and I am so freaking hopeful for you! Can't wait to hear the full report, will pray for recovery and also the situation with dh! Can't wait to hear more. Enjoy cancun!