Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Acupuncture

I took up acupuncture again. This makes the 4th time :) First, I saw a Chinese woman for a few months (summer '07), then a Chinese man for about half a year (winter-spring '08), then I went back to the original woman this year after learning of my clotting factors, but I stopped going to her when her treatments didn't mesh with what I knew I needed. I needed blood flow increased not only pre-Peak, but also post-Peak, and she refused to work on blood flow in the luteal phase because "baby needs to stick." Yeah, well, my "babies" (non-existent as they may be) are not able to stick when there are ginormous clots all over the endometrium!!

So I contacted a new place I just found out about, pretty close to home. It's called Acupunture for Reproductive Health, and I wasn't sure how I'd feel about them since their practitioner is not Chinese. My first appointment was last week, and I must say, I really liked her! She has worked with women with clotting factors before, as well as NK Cells, LADs, you name it, she's seen it. I feel like finally she is up to the level that I, along with my gamut of issues, require.

Through email exchange she told me that while it is not standard in TCM and acupuncture to stimulate blood flow in the luteal phase, there are certain situations where it is warranted, such as in my case. She also gave me a bunch of that Moxa incense stuff to burn on my pelvis at home (I love that stuff!), along with a ton of information/brochures/pamphlets on what foods are best to eat, what foods are best to avoid, etc. (Hot foods are best for circulation, kind of a no-brainer.) And she recommended some supplements, that I haven't had a chance to get yet.

Today is my next appointment. I took off from clinicals today and tomorrow so that I can study for my final exams tomorrow evening (eeeek!) - I'm especially worried about the Ob course. There are so many things that can go wrong with a pregnancy, from start to finish, and we had to memorize them all!! The Physics final (yes, I have to take PHYSICS which I avoided like the plague in High School) was fine on Monday.

I'm hoping the acupuncture will relax me for studying :)

6 comments:

mrsblondies said...

Good luck with your exams. I'm glad to hear that you have found someone to do acupuncture in a way that will hopeful help you. Good luck.

callmemama said...

Sometimes it takes a few tries to find an acupuncturist who fits you - especially with something so specific like a clotting disorder. I'm glad you found an expert!

Good luck with your exams!

Thankful said...

Good luck with finals! And, wow, what a great acupuncturist! She really sounds like she knows what she is doing.

LifeHopes said...

I have always been fascinated by the idea of acupuncture but could never quite fit it into the budget. I wonder if it would help me.

I am impressed that she knows all about the blood clotting stuff, too. That is a whole other league if you know what I mean! ha ha!

(what I'm trying to say is that we're in the IF "Big Leagues" aren't ya glad? ha ha)

Good luck tomorrow !!! You'll ace it I just KNOW it!

JellyBelly said...

Good luck with your exams!!!! Sounds like you've found a great acupuncturist! Yay!

Ann - Building a Nest said...

I hope your exams went/are going well.

I'm fascinated with acupuncture, but haven't convinced myself that it helps. I keep seeing people rave about it so maybe I will try it one day.

Re: your comment on my blog. The toys 'r us trip was b/c my Sister in law waited until the 11th hour to tell me what to get her son. I go get it, but (and this part is fun), she ends up liking another toy better that I have to 2-day ship from another store. Sigh.