Monday, November 30, 2009

Shingles

I have them.

WTH???!!!

I wish someone had a camera on my face when the Dr told me this. She may as well have told me I had the bubonic plague. I mean, really, wth??? Am I 90? Or do I live in the Middle Ages?? Who gets shingles???

I was working at the Dr's office today, and asked the secretary if I could sneak in for a quick visit. It just so happened someone cancelled the first appt of the day.

Saturday as I lounged around the house and played Super Mario Bros. on Wii all day, I got this weird looking "rash" spot on the top of my belly, jut under my cleavage... but then along the side of my ribcage I had this weird burning/pain sensation. Kinda itchy, but not really. Sunday it got worse, and definitely no more itching. Just all pain. I didn't sleep well at all either night, and today it's continued around to the back of my ribcage, too.

After listening to my symptoms and looking at the areas in question, my Dr said she suspected shingles. I think my exact reaction was, "OH MY GOD, WHAT??!!!" She said it's leftover from the varicella strain and can exhibit itself in times when the immune system is weak (ie suppressed with prednisone). Great.

So I'm taking an anti-viral medication which should slowly relieve the symptoms. Luckily, she said young people usually recuperate fully, whereas sometimes older people can have residual discomfort after having shingles.

And, I think in an effort to make me feel better, she added that she's seen a number of cases of young women with shingles lately. Hmmmm.

What's next? Leprosy?

16 comments:

andnotbysight said...

Ugh. I had shingles a few years ago. I think in my case it was triggered by a patch of sunburn on my back where I missed a spot with the sunscreen (I read that sun damage can trigger shingles). It was just a small spot, but I did end up with neuralgia afterward. If shingles isn't enough to make a girl feel like she's 90, neuralgia will do it! I hope yours go away quickly with no after-effects!

Mrs B said...

Oh my goodness! I hope the medicine does the trick and you have a fast recovery. I will add you to my St. Andrew prayer novena. God Bless!

Cecilia said...

My husband had shingles in college (age 19) also on his rib cage/back area. Had the exact same reaction (what am I 90??). He recovered very quickly, but it's definitely no fun in the meantime. Hope you feel better soon!

WheelbarrowRider said...

So sorry to hear this! Will pray for a quick recovery for you!

Kathryn said...

Bizarro. When I read your title I thought, "she can't mean that she HAS shingles. Oh wait, she does."
Isn't just great when there is yet another thing to deal with!

Sew said...

I'm trying not to laugh! What the heck is going on over there in NJ??? I think you are under attack from the devil!

I should have mailed you the pamphlet on shingles I saw at my Gma's house! :) hahahahaha

Seriously, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! Really, I am!

At least you know the prednisone is working!

LifeHopes said...

P came down with shingles when he was in Brazil last year at a conference and it was so bad he had to get some other docs that were there to treat him with some antivirals also.

Luckily, it did go away, but left some unsightly scars. His brother had them, too, which I found very odd. Maybe shingles isn't as uncommon as we thought!!!!

I am SOOO sorry about this!!!

JellyBelly said...

I had them when I was 25!!!! I couldn't believe it either. I thought it was a heat rash and when it didn't go away my mom made me go to the doctor. We were both beyond shocked!

Next time I see you I'll have to share my weird looking scar!

Praying for Hope said...

My MIL has problems with shingles when she's on Prednisone. If you've ever had chickenpox, you can get shingles. Always something to look forward to.

mrsblondies said...

Sorry about the shingles, but it sounds like they aren't as uncommon in younger people as we thought. I'm glad that they can give you an anti-viral.

inallthingsgood said...

Oh no! So sorry! Isn't shingles the adult version of chicken pox or did I get that wrong?

the misfit said...

Woman, you do NOT have shingles! How is that possible?? Is that the one where men become sterile if they get it? (Really, really not trying to be alarmist, and I'm sure the doc would have said, but there is some post-chicken pox complication that's bad for men who never had it as a kid.)

I swear, this whole IF thing is just a theater of the absurd.

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

I think you're thinking of syphillis... no, I don't have that. Yet. :P

Ann - Building a Nest said...

Oh no! My friend just recovered from a severe case of it on her face/neck. She was miserable. I hope yours is at least mild and goes away quickly. Isn't it a sort of redo of chicken pox?

Vent-ilation said...

OMgosh!! Someday you'll look back and it will be comical (hopefully). Seriously? of all things? Hope you're feeling better soon! A new year is beginning in 30 days... and a new church year just started, so praying that so much of this is behind you.

Life In Mazes said...

Holy Moly - I will be stepping up the prayers for you!

When is it enough? Really! Hope you get better soon!