Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Finally Bit the Bullet

It's not like I was avoiding getting the food sensitivity testing, but I mean geez, how long have I been talking about it now? Since July? Yeah, it was July, it was right after Dr. Boyle gave his talk at the AAFCP meeting.

I guess it wasn't on the top of my list of priorities because it would have required me to ship everything overseas to the United Kingdom. But last week at my Dr's appt (NaPro), I asked my Dr again if she thought I should still get it done. She said yes, that it would be interesting to see how diet is playing a role in all of this. We also talked about my less-than-perfectly-normal BM schedule (2-3 x week), and maybe in avoiding certain foods I can become more regular.

She said just recently she was in contact with a local dietician who works with the GI Dr at the local hospital, and that she was now running these tests which were almost identical to the Food Print in the UK. Great! I may actually be able to get at least part of it covered by insurance, then.

So I'll be going Thursday after work to get the blood work. The dietician also told me she will continue working with me to help me implement a diet plan that works well with my body's sensitivities, etc. after the test.

I hope it doesn't come back to say I have food sensitivity to Mallomars. That would be a travesty.

Yesterday I also finally spoke with the nurse from Dr Kwak's office and asked about my results (the ones that warranted my starting prednisone this cycle). She said everything was still great, except my NK Cells 50:1 killing activity was 18%. They want it below 15%. I asked about what could make it fluctuate (this is the 3rd time I've have my NK Cells tested and both times before they were well in range), and she said they fluctuate all the time, which is why they test them often during treatment. I'm actually really glad that I ended up getting the blood test on day 7 of my cycle, now, because if I had it on CD 3 as requested, maybe the results still would have been in normal range at the time. See- everything DOES happen for a reason!
(The 18% is not high enough for me to need IVIg, and I am so thrilled about that!)

I'm P+5 today, and again I have absolutely NO breast tenderness. I am so confused by this... why when I'm ON progesterone do I have no symptoms, and when I'm NOT on progesterone I have all the symptoms? (I am bloated and gassy, but I swear, almost every other TTC cycle I either get sore bbs right after ovulation or mid-luteal phase. Grrrrr...)

So far, so good with the prednisone. I have had a little bit of insomnia (waking up several times in the middle of the night) but not too bad. I haven't turned into a big, fat, hairy ape yet. Stay tuned...

7 comments:

Mrs. Mike said...

TCIE--I'd love it if you could share the details of the dietitian you found who is going to do your food sensitivity testing. It's the one thing Dr. H mentioned that could shed some light on my otherwise confounding situation.

Thanks!

Sew said...

Oh I think you would make a great big fat hairy ape!

I'm getting food allergy testing in January. ALCAT stuff, hopefully. I think FJIEJ did it. I'm ready.

I would be in so much pain if I only pooed 2-3 x's a week. That is just crazy. It's like your poo is fermenting or something. hahahahaha

Find joy in every journey said...

LOL! Sounds like you are on the right path, I didn't have breast tenderness until my first progesterone injection. :) So hopeful for you!!!

mrsblondies said...

I'm glad that you are going to be able to get the food testing done. I hope helps you feel better. Good luck with the prednisone.

Danielle said...

Hey girl. I hope the prednisone works a miracle for you. I'm sure you won't have too many side effects from it. Try not to dwell on side effects or you'll go crazy! GL with the food allergy testing, ttc or not I would really love to do that. PLEASE post more info on how to go about it b/c I always have "digestion" issues.

Sew said...

I remember I was a day behind you now I'm 5 days behind you in our cycle. WTH is up with that!

JellyBelly said...

It's amazing how foods can affect you. I had a little bit of wheat yesterday and I've been feeling off ever since! I can't wait to see what the results will be when you get them!