Thursday, October 1, 2009

No Rose... yet

Ever since I was in 4th grade, and first learned about St. Therese of Lisieux, I have LOVED praying Novenas to her. And without fail, sometime at the end of the Novena I would see a rose (or some other kind of flower) along my path, and know she was interceding for me.

Today, on her Feast Day, DH and I finished the Novena together. You can assume correctly as to what one of our intentions was. (But I included many this time, for all of you, for all unborn babies, for family members who have fallen from the Church, etc.)
And so far today, neither of us has seen a rose.

That is, except for the dying ones I have in a vase up on the counter.

On the first day of the Novena, before we began, DH bought me a dozen red roses, just to let me know he was thinking of me :) I told him afterwards about the Novena. So he seems to think THAT was our sign.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure. I've never seen the rose BEFORE starting the Novena. And what about him? His sign can't be one that he bought himself!!

Well, she's always answered my prayers in the past, so I know that she is interceding for us. Maybe she plans to give me that sign when God decides the timing is right for my ultimate prayer of motherhood to be answered. And maybe that time isn't now :(

8 comments:

allyouwhohope said...

I never see a rose, but that's okay. I decided a long time ago that it doesn't mean she doesn't hear me. She probably knows that I'd get too hung up on signs if I started getting them :)

And thank you SO MUCH for your comment about my post! Very informative!!

LifeHopes said...

Hmmmm...
I am not sure what to make of the "to see a rose" or "not to see a rose" question.

But I DO believe she will hear your prayers, take your intentions to the throne of God Himself, and we will all benefit from those prayers!!

I am praying for you, A. I cannot wait until your happy post:)

Sew said...

The rose will come...I believe it!!! :)

It's on it's way...... :)

JellyBelly said...

Don't worry, your rose will come!

Life In Mazes said...

I don't always ask for a rose, just any flower since she reminds us that we can't all be roses, some of us are called to be daisies or violets. I will be praying for you. I think that can be the sign (the roses from your husband)!
I will be believing with you that our prayers will be answered and know that I prayed for all of us trying to coneceive when I was at Mass this morning.

Find joy in every journey said...

I am glad you did the novena...don't they always take the focus off of us and then onto the Lord? Praying for you both.

the misfit said...

The last Therese novena I prayed was several years ago, and it was one that was very special to me. It may sound odd, but - a friend of mine apparently was interested in me. I wasn't interested in him. But he treated me like a normal person - he was respectful, continued to be friends, if a little more distant. This doesn't sound like much, but I had lost several friendships in the past year and been stalked and harassed by several people I thought were friends but who couldn't treat me with respect. This was right when I graduated from college, and it was devastating to learn that the people I had leaned on for years were NOT friends. So I was so grateful for this friend. I prayed a novena, and asked everyone I knew to pray, too, for my special intention, which I didn't share (that he would find a nice girl to marry. He had been looking for years). I finished my novena - no rose. I'd always gotten roses before. No girl for my friend, either. I got angry - it was a good intention, and the prayer should have been answered. At the end of that year, he met a great girl. They got married not long after. They suffered from infertility, too, and after trying for years, finally miscarried. They were devastated. They now have a healthy baby girl. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is - sometimes maybe you won't get a rose (but keep looking!), but I think then the payoff is way bigger. St. Therese won't hold out on you - you just have to be more patient than I am! (That's not that hard :) )

Sew said...

Well now you know I didn't get your rose!!! hahahaha