Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Happy 3 Year Anniversary!!



It's our Leather Anniversary today, and I gave DH a leather Coach wallet that I bought him while down in Tennessee at the outlets with my girls :)

In the spirit of sharing, here is my survey!

1. Where/how did you meet: We were both flying to Venice, Italy from JFK airport in NYC. I was going to study abroad in Ferrara, and DH was going back after Christmas break at home, to work as Executive Chef of Zanussi kitchen equipment (a sector of Electrolux). We first saw each other on line for baggage check (he was right behind me, and had the same luggage, with a neon identifying strap around it!) and then were fated to speak when we took our seats on the same flight- he had the seat right next to my window seat! It was January 14th, 2002.
2. How long have you known each other: 7 1/2 years.
3. How long after you met did you start dating: We spoke on the phone a few times after that, but finally got together when he invited me to his friend's birthday party- March 1st. So it was about 1 1/2 months.
4. Where did you get engaged: He got a hotel suite, got take-out sushi (my favorite), and decorated the entire place with candles and flower petals. He told me he was going to take me out to dinner that night, but that I needed to pick him up from the suite, where he was wrapping up a business meeting with his business associate (who was in from out-of-town, and hence, staying at the hotel). Don't tell DH, but I knew he was proposing that night. I saw that all our tea lights were missing, as well as the lighter... plus, he was acting funny... he was so nervous, it was really endearing.
5. How long was your engagement: little less than 9 months.
6. How long have you been married: 3 very challenging years... but I wouldn't have survived these 3 years with anyone else :)
7. What is your anniversary: August 19th
8. How many people came to your wedding reception: 67.
9. What kind of cake did you serve: We opted for a hazelnut cake with ganache, it was awesome. We also had a gigantic Viennese Table, with cannoli, fondue fountain, pies, cakes, and cookies.
10. Where was your wedding: my hometown parish, Our Lady of Loretto, in historic Cold Spring, NY. The reception was at The Culinary Institute of America, 40 mins north of where I grew up, and DH's alma mater. It was perfect.
11. What did you serve for your meal: I think it's so funny that normal people don't remember what they served, because DH and I had two things we REALLY cared about- the food, and the music. We had 3 meetings just to go over the menu with the Chef! To truly appreciate our food choices, you'll have to know our color scheme- it was all summer oranges, tangerines, peaches, raspberry, pinks, yellows, etc. The food MATCHED our color scheme! We had 6 passed hors d'heouvres, including a chilled strawberry soup, and lobster canapes. The first course was a Cappellacci di Zucca (pumpkin ravioli, it was the signature dish of the town where I studied abroad). Second course was a summer salad with grilled shrimp and a hazelnut-orange vinaigrette. Third course was a combination platter of beef medallion (filet mignon) with shitaake mushroom cap and chicken roulade with prosciutto, spinach, and broccoli. We served paired wines with each course, and toasted with Prosecco di Valdobiaddene (Italian white sparkling wine from the region where DH lived in Italy). Aside from the color scheme, our "theme" was Italy. Each table was named after a different city that DH and I had visited. The seating cards were plane tickets :) and the restaurant at the CIA was the Tuscan villa-style Caterina de' Medici restaurant.
12. How many people were there in your bridal party: 5- 1 MOH, 1 best man, 1 bridesmaid, 1 groomsman, and 1 junior bridesmaid.
13. Are you still friends with them all: Nope. Not with the 1 bridesmaid. Loooooong story.
14. Did you or your spouse cry during the ceremony: No, but we were so happy :)
15. Most special moment of your wedding day: I have a bunch of these moments, but a couple of the best were when the band played (at our request) my grandparent's song, "I'll Be Seeing You." I had asked DH to ask my grandmother to dance for that song- and we have a picture of her looking SO HAPPY. We also surprised our parents with their wedding song (which they didn't know beforehand, they had the same song- "More" from the late 60's). I also really enjoyed our presentation of flowers to the Blessed Mother during the ceremony, while my friend sang Ave Maria.
16. Any funny moments: At the rehearsal dinner the night before, my then 2 1/2 yr old niece decides to shout out at DH, "You have a penis!" It was a small event, just the bridal party and immediate families, but DH was mortified!
17. Any big disasters: Could have been. My bridesmaid showed up to the salon with her gown balled up in her arms! (She tried very hard to sabotage the wedding because she wasn't pleased with how hers went 2 months before.) But when we got back to my house, my childhood friend who was our photographer, her MOTHER was there to watch me get ready (sooo sweet!!)- and she told my mom not to worry, that she was there to help, and she quickly ironed out all the wrinkles in the gown!
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon: Since we had done most of Northern Italy the first time around, we did Southern Italy and saw where my family came from for the honeymoon. We also did a Papal Audience and were blessed by Pope Benedict.
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change: I really don't know if I would change anything! It was near perfect! I may have decided to go with a more elaborate, creative cake, like the ones they do on Cake Boss, actually :)
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on: The side closest to the bathroom, on the left if you're in it.
22. What size is your bed: King
23. Greatest strength as a couple: our un-breakability. We've been through a LOT together, stuff that was even harder than infertility, if you can imagine that.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple: Having our past threaten to ruin our future with the cancellation of our Home Study.
25. Who literally pays the bills: It used to be me all the time, but DH does a lot of it now.
26. What is your song: "The Way You Look Tonight" the original Fred Astaire version from Swing Time. My gown looked like the dress Ginger Rogers wears in that movie. We also consider "I'll Be Seeing You" as our 'silent' wedding song.
27. What did you dance your first dance to: same as above
28. Describe your wedding dress: It was an empire waist with a deep plunge neckline and thin straps. WHITE, not off-white (my mother would have none of that!), with a chapel length train and platinum/Swarovski crystal beading at the bust and on the straps only. It was the 1st dress I tried on, too! After I tried it on, I thought, "well, it can't be THIS easy!" so I tried on 4 others that I had picked out, then said, "I think I want to put that 1st one on again..." It was the one.
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding: I carried an over-the-arm bouquet of long-stemmed Calla Lilies. We had all kinds of different mambo roses and berries and stuff in the bridesmaid bouquets. All in the "summer reds/pinks/orange/yellow" scheme.
30. Are your wedding bands engraved? DH's is. I did it as a surprise to him right before the wedding- it says "AP to RS 8-19-06"

Here are a couple pictures of our perfect day!











And here's my very favorite photo, taken by my sister, an amazingly gifted photographer:

15 comments:

Building A Nest said...

Happy Anniversary. The pictures are beautiful.

prayerfuljourney said...

Happy Aniversary! The pictures are awesome...I love the last one too. Thanks for sharing.

Hannah's Song said...

Happy Anniversary! Have a wonderful time celebrating!

Life In Mazes said...

I love you wedding gown! What beautiful memories. I thought that it was great that you and your DH had so much fun planning for the food at your wedding reception!
I hope that you have a wonderful anniversary celebration!!!

By the way, it is so neat that you were able to get a papal blessing on your honeymoon :)

Sissy said...

It was nice to see what you look like...I pictured you as a brunette for some reason. LOL.

Looks like a lovely day. I loved the bridesmaid flowers, so pretty.

Vent-ilation said...

Happy Anniversary! It sounds like a beautiful wedding. Reading the menu made me really hungry! YUM!!

Find joy in every journey said...

Happy Anniversary!! You can call me anytime!!

JellyBelly said...

happy leather anniversary!!!! thank you for sharing your wedding memories!

Percolating Petals said...

Happy Annivesary!! All the cool people got marrie in 2006. :) By the way, my hubby and I were in Rome for a papal audience in early September of that year... wonder if we saw you there!!

Tridentine Wife said...

Happy Anniversary. I love hearing about other people's wedding experiences. Yours sounds quite elegant and the food to match :)

the misfit said...

I think I'll have to study up, for this quiz! Making a recipe from your wedding - what a lovely idea! (Care to share the pumpkin ravioli recipe?) Everything sounds magnificent and you looked so lovely. Happy anniversary!!

Praying for Hope said...

Happy anniversary! Your pictures look wonderful!

barbie said...

beautiful pictures, it's great to "see" you!

LifeHopes said...

Happy Anniversary!

I am amazed at how beautiful your wedding was. I love the dress, your hair, and the food sounds scrumptious.

Isn't it amazing how fast three years can go? We are almost there ourselves!

I enjoyed reading all about the details !!

Mrs. Mike said...

Happy anniversary! What a gorgeous GORGEOUS dress you wore! And the calla lily bouquet is just exquisite with the dress. Love that you and your husband are "foodies" too!

May you have many many more happy years ahead of you!