Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Selective HSG

Everything went very well with the selective HSG! I had my pre-surgery tape that my HypnoFertility therapist made with me last week, and I listened to it a few times before getting to the hospital. (It was meant to open up my body to healing, not to be resistant in any way, and also allow me to react to a very small amount of anestesia, since I opted for general.) The nurse told me the procedure on its own lasts about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Turns out, mine was only 40 minutes :)

I remember when the anesthesiologist first started administering the drug, she did it right before wheeling me into the operating room. I was feeling kind of loopy and could hear my words starting to slur. But they must have had a plan to keep me talking up until the last moment, so that they knew when I was out cold (instead of having me count backwards from 10), because afterwards I remember as I was moved onto the operating table, the nurses and staff were asking me what I do for a living, and I was talking about Creighton. Dr. S.tegman wasn't there yet, or at least, I didn't see him, but the last thing I remember is slurring/mumbling about the effectiveness rates of Creighton... they must have got a real kick out of that.

Then I woke up, and Dr. Stegman came to tell me how it went. The pressure in each tube should measure between .4-.6 atmospheric points. (Last year, my pressure measured .9 in the right and 1.3 in the left. He got them both back to .4 at that point.) This time, the pressure in my right was .6, and in my left was .8. Not too significant of an elevation, but when you think about it, I guess any change in pressure can't be good for fertility, because those tubes are SO TINY- and they need to help sperm, egg, and blastocyst travel through it. Dr. S.tegman did tell DH that he thinks this procedure will improve our chances, so that's all I needed to hear.

I was pretty woozy from the anesthesia, even though I came to quickly and easily. I thought I was doing wonderfully with recuperation, but then when they came to lift the back of my bed, I got queasy. I had to get some ice chips and they needed to call Dr. S.tegman to see if I could get more anti-nausea medication. I did, and it worked, but I had to spend a couple more hours there.

By the time we finally left (my, DH, and my mom), I had 1 spell of nausea in the car, but managed to not vomit (thank goodness- I HATE vomiting). Then the remainder of the day, I felt ok with the exception of being woozy and lightheaded.

Heather from PPVI had called while I was in surgery, so I called them back to see what the deal was. At my cycle review, I had expressed concern over my weak progesterone levels and pre-menstrual spotting, and she told me that Dr. Hilgers won't give ovulation meds (like Clomid or Femara) to those on Hydrocort, because he doesn't want to overstimulate. Well, she called back because she had spoken to him directly about my case, and he said I can take Femara with Hydrocort, after all!! Of course, it was 3 days too late at that point- DOH! I can start next cycle, but I was REALLY banking on this cycle being one of optimum fertility- what with the SHSG and going on vacation during Peak time, etc. I just hope my body will have a nice strong ovulation on its own...

Oh, and to end with an ironic anecdote, the nurse who helped me get out of bed, use the toilet, and get dressed right before discharge was asking me how I found Dr. Stegman (since I came from NJ to PA). I told her that I use NaPro Technology, and was about to explain what that was when I saw her nodding like she already knew. I said, "My regular Dr. in NJ is also NaPro, but she is not a surgeon, so I come to Dr. S.tegman for anything surgical." She responds, "My daughter does in-vitro fertilization! She has a clinic up in Boston. I hope your procedure today helps you and you don't need to go that route." I couldn't believe it! I mean, I realize just because you work at Holy Spirit Hospital doesn't mean you are Catholic, but c'mon now, how's that for irony! It's like I just can't escape the IVF world!
I did use the opportunity to be a witness, however. My response was, "Well, I won't ever be going that route, because it's against my moral and religious beliefs."

And that was that.

7 comments:

prayerfuljourney said...

Good for you! Why does everyone believe IVF is moral and okay? Don't these people realize that conception is God's job? Humph! I'm thankful that is not an option for us and I do dislike hearing about IVF and abortion. Unfortunately...it's part of the world.

That is wonderful news that the surgery had a good outcome. I was really neausous after my surg too...they kept giving me anti-neausea meds. I got sick before the surg ..I think the lack of food had something to do with it. They gave me a prescription for the neausea which helped me immensely the next day. Whew! I will pray that there is baby success for you and your dh!

Praying for Hope said...

Done! I had nausea once while they were wheeling me from recovery back to that little cubicle, shortly before they let DH come in. Can't stand nausea. I'm glad it passed for you.

andnotbysight said...

I'm so glad it went well! I hope it makes a big difference for you. (And, for me, it was the first complete cycle after the HSG that was the big one :-> )

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

So glad your procedure went well and is over. When do you head out of town? You must be excited!

the misfit said...

You know what I've found...it seems like most people who think IVF is fine without examination or reflection *are* Catholic - they think that the fact that the Church is opposed means they should just totally ignore it if it's something they want to do. By contrast, agnostics and atheists seem more likely to object to it on ethical grounds or, if they do it, see it as a last resort and a subject of serious concern. I could be wrong, but those are my observations. Don't know what to make of them, though...

LifeHopes said...

I am so happy everything went well!!
Praying that your tubes are now much more open for those little guys and egg to meet !!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm also following Naprotechnology and undergone 2 suregeries. My Dr. is Dr. Thomas Hilgers in NE, but following surgery I had 2 ectopic pregnancy, leaving me with only one fallopian tube. Now I have to undergo selective hysterosalpingogram. I was wondering whether all of your insurance companies covered this procesure or not?