Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Two Bits of News...

That phrase is kind of a running joke in my family.  :)

But today I have my own two bits of news. And no, one is not that I am pregnant.

First, I FINALLY made it to St. Gianna's shrine in Warminster, PA! Don't ask me what took me so long to get there... I had emailed the place last year to find out about veneration times (for the gloves), and just never got around to making the trip. For some reason, I then forgot where the shrine actually was, and was thinking it was close to Harrisburg (2 hrs from me).

As it turns out, Warminster is ONE HOUR from me!! Door-to-door! It's so sad, my a cappella group practices in a town in NJ just about 15 minutes north of the shrine every Tuesday night... so I make that trip every week, and this is my first visit to the shrine. Doh! But at least I finally got there :) It was SO WORTH IT! The Mass was beautiful, the music was awesome (Servant Song, and Behold the Lamb, which are two of my favorites. Actually, we chose Behold the Lamb as the Communion song during our wedding.) and the homily was also excellent.

Sew, you would have got a big kick out of THIS one: during the prayers of the faithful, one of the intentions was for all BARREN WOMEN! HA! I must say, I was a bit insulted :P I don't want to be called BARREN, thank-you-very-much! I'm not accepting those prayers!

And finally, at the end of Mass, we all got on line to venerate the gloves. It was really special... I don't know why this is, but any time I've ever been in the presence of a relic, or a Saint's body (or body part - - I know, it's a gross image, but they did "split up and share" the saints remains a lot in Italy back in the day), I always draw a complete blank. My mind just goes... blank! So right before I held the gloves, I prayed to St. Gianna, and afterwards, I said another prayer in front of her picture. But while holding the gloves, I didn't have ONE THOUGHT. Not one prayer! What the heck is wrong with me?? Well, I hope that just in holding the gloves to my ring, cross, and uterus, that the blessings came through me. (I'm also kicking myself because my rosary was RIGHT IN MY PURSE!!! I didn't even take it out!!! AHHHH!)

Ok, so the second bit of news...

I met AYWH! And some (not mentioning any names) were more excited about this bit of news than the first :) I must say, it was definitely a highlight! She and her husband are just so sweet and unassuming- - JUST LIKE they come across online. Very down-to-earth and outgoing. It was really a pleasure to share this experience with them, and I hope I'll get to see them again whenever they come up to the NY/NJ/PA area in the future.

(I'm also relying on her to post all the pics, since I left my camera at home and my phone in the car.)

I wrote some prayer card intentions for all of you, and also prayed during Mass (at the transubstantiation to be exact) for all of your intentions.

It was a really lovely day.

St. Gianna, pray for us!

8 comments:

Sew said...

Did you feel a heat when you held the gloves to your used taurus? I mean uterus!? That is what my DH calls it when I say uterus. What?

Thanks for not mentioning my name when I thought it was awesome you were going to meet AYWH in person instead of going to St. Gianna shrine. :) hahaha

I am very slow at getting the picture dictionary out. Ugg...I haven't forgotten. :)

Hafsa said...

Awww Sew you just ratted yourself out lol.

TCIE that sounds like an awesome experience, and I'm glad you figured out that it was close to you so now you might be able to visit more often.

JellyBelly said...

i'm so jealous!!!! thanks for praying for all of us "barren" women. i'll have to figure out when we can do a road trip to see it. ever since sew told me about the gloves i've wanted to visit!

Fertile Thoughts said...

It sounds like you had a GREAT time. I can't believe you live so close to St. Gianna's shrine. AWESOME :) Thanks for praying for us IF girls too while you were there. That was thoughtful. I am so glad you got to me AYWH and hubby. Aren't they nice. They really are such a sweet couple. it's funny that AYWH, GIMH, and Me all go to the same parish...small world!
~Amber

Living Advent said...

I think it's neat that you don't think about anything when holding a relic. I wish I could get my mind to quiet down and let me hear. And I believe that you made it to the shrine the very day that you were supposed to. How wonderful to have a fellow sister blogger there with you!!

Paul and I will probably be going through Philly in Sept. We may have to take a little detour to the shrine.

allyouwhohope said...

It was SO great to meet you!!! Although I didn't feel like we were "meeting" so to speak.. since I already know you so well! I am so, so glad you could be there too last night, and it was so wonderful to be able to experience the beautiful Mass together and, of course, venerating the gloves. It was just a great experience!

I am the opposite of you when I hold the gloves.. my mind races and I get so worked up trying to make sure I get everything in. And then I always hope I feel a warmth or something that I've heard some people experience, and of course I never do. Then, all in those short few minutes, I also try to calm down and just pray peacefully. If someone could see what was going on in my head they'd think I was nuts!

Find joy in every journey said...

I am jealous!! I love love love the servant song, my favorite. Sounds like a beautiful time! We all need a trip to Emmittsburg, too. It is awesome, about 45 min from me. Thanks for the prayers!

Vent-ilation said...

What a neat trip! Hey, I just saw your comment on Sew's post about the ducks. Is the book called Ping? Or something like that? I know the one you mean! Ducks always make me think of Make Way for Ducklings.