Monday, March 30, 2009

HypnoFertility

Some of you may have heard of HypnoBirthing. In fact, this was the birthing method I was planning on learning during pregnancy, as a natural means of pain management during labor.

Well, last week I was watching Deliver Me, or A Baby Story, or one of those shows that makes an infertile woman weep uncontrollably (I'm a slight masochist), and the woman delivering had her HynoBirthing coach with her. The coach explained how HypnoBirthing is all about releasing the fears associated with the birth process, so that the woman no longer has tension, and she can have more control over the pain that she experiences. The idea came to me like a lightbulb going off in my head: what about hypnosis for FERTILITY? I assumed that the process of hypnosis and visualization was the same no matter what you were using it for, and I started to wonder if HypnoBirthing coaches would work with me PRE-pregnancy to help me achieve pregnancy.

So I immediately googled "HypnoBirthing" and "Fertility"- and guess what? Someone beat me to the million dollar idea :) They already practice HypnoFertility!! And there is a practitioner in my county! I contacted her online, and she called me back last night to discuss my history. After a lengthy conversation, where I spoke about my NaPro Technology treatment and diagnoses to date, she was fascinated. She kept taking notes about NaPro, saying she had never heard of it but that it sounds just wonderful! (I really sold it to her thick, playing up the holistic aspects of NaPro, and how ART usually fails because it is rushed to without or before clearing up the underlying CAUSE of the infertility. She wholeheartedly agreed, even though she does practice what is called "IVF Assist" HypnoFertility.)

We finished talking about my story, and she explained how her sessions work. It will be 5-7 sessions, 1 with just DH, that last about 1 1/2-2 hrs in length. During the sessions we will identify the sources of my fears concerning getting pregnant (including any past abortions, miscarriages, etc.), and learn how to release those fears in my mind. I'll also go home with "homework" after each session, and practice my mind-over-body awareness and positive energy shift. She said it's really important to commit to all 5-7 sessions, and not give up after 2 or 3 if it's "not working."

The session with the husband, she explained, is very similar to my sessions- they will identify and work through HIS fears associated with fertility. Often times, she said, the husband is scarred after so many months of not being able to get his wife pregnant, which really is an attack on his masculinity. He may also have deep-rooted fears about what kind of father he will be, etc.

Finally, we made my 1st appointment for April 1st!! I'm so excited! At the end of the conversation she told me that she felt I was in an excellent place to be starting Hypnosis for Fertility, because I was "10 steps ahead of the game." She said most of her fertility clients come to her not knowing what the cause of their IF is, or in the middle of an IVF cycle. But she said, "It sounds like you have identified all of the physical barriers to your fertility, and fixed them, so now we just need to remove the emotional and spiritual barriers." She said this makes me an excellent candidate, and that she thinks I will be successful! I hope so!

Of course, this is not covered by insurance, and it is slightly more expensive than acupuncture. However, I like the fact that it is a SET # of sessions, because then I can handle the budget for it. With acupuncture, I just kept trying it and trying it hoping it would result in pregnancy, but really never had an end in sight.

So, April 1st is my phone consultation with the Institute that specializes in immunological factors of IF, AND my 1st appt for HypnoFertility. I really hope that the April Fool's joke isn't on me :)

10 comments:

Sew said...

O.M.G.! You are a woman on a mission!!!! I saw the title and I was wondering what you had up your sleeve. BUT HOLY SH#$%!!!!!

That is amazing! Anything that will help, since I believe there is a ton of fear behind infertility that is unneccesary!

I am searching for one in my area.

Sew said...

I hope you are able to hypnotize us through the screen! ;) I could use some releasing of infertile fears! ;)

prayerfuljourney said...

Wow, that sounds interesting. I'll have to see if there's anyone in my area trying that idea out. hmmmmmm???? If the cost is right...I would give it a whirl. Let us know how it goes! Blessings!!!

Fight The Good Fight of Faith said...

for some reason I read it as hypofertility...he he he.
That sounds interesting let us know how it goes. I've always been weary about hypnosis make sure they tape the session or your DH is with you when they do the hypnosis, who knows if they mess with your head. I'm a bit of a skeptic about hypnosis. Sorry.

Find joy in every journey said...

Sounds really interesting! I am a beleiver in natural methods and am hopeful for you! I am still stinging from the costs of last year, so good for you for being willing to plow ahead!

JellyBelly said...

how cool!

i'd like to release some of my IF fears too! i'm going to see if there's anyone close to me that does it too!

Fertile Thoughts said...

I have never heard of such a thing, but it really sounds like a great idea. Isn't you're app. today matter of fact? Oh my gosh...I hope it all goe swell!!! Keep us posted :)
~Amber

Fertile Thoughts said...

You know what...I think we are talking about the same woman from the Cath.olic Fe.rtility Group. What a coincidence! Are you a member there? That is where I got this idea about reproductive immunology. I have been a member there for over a year now. They have been so helpful and supportive. I enjoy reading your blog by the way. I have a been reading it for awhile:)
God bless,
Amber

Vent-ilation said...

What a cool idea! Let us know how it all goes.

Percolating Petals said...

Wow, I've never heard of that. Do be careful of hypnosis, though.

Do you still want to touch base and discuss our IF support groups? My email addy is kektucker at gmail dot com.