Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hawks, Adoption Meeting, Dinner, and Vaginal Suppositories... not necessarily in that order

Last night was our first interview with our social worker, followed by the group informational meeting (which is not required, but recommended). Basically, our first one-on-one meeting laid out all the information we were to get an hour and a half later in the group meeting... but I'm still glad we went to the latter, because there they passed out some sample Profile Books, and it was good to get an idea of what works and what doesn't work.

Our social worker is very nice and softspoken (aren't they all?)- and she has just started doing domestic adoptions recently. She used to do international only. We were given access to the full application online after yesterday's meeting, and that will take us quite awhile- - tax returns, etc. will be a real pain in the you-know-what, since DH is a Partner in his business. It's not as easy as looking at some W-2s. She did tell us that we could finish the entire home study in 3-4 months if we were really motivated to move quickly, but I'm thinking it will take us a bit longer than that.

Something else we found out yesterday is that our application will be put on hold if we do achieve pregnancy during the process. Which KINDA stinks, since DH and I both feel "called" to adopt now, and if we also get pg then in our eyes, BOTH children were meant to be ours, kwim? But I can totally understand their reasoning. Some couples that have been waiting a while should not lose out on a potential match/placement to another couple who is ALSO pg. If I were on the other end of that deal, I would surely be ticked off, so it's very fair imo.

As we were driving to our meeting (as I said, we met with the SW 1-on-1 first), I told DH, "We should have some questions ready, because she may just be expecting to answer any/all of our questions for the entire hour and a half. Do you have any questions for her?"

He paused. Then said, "How much for the baby?"

I swear. WHAT am I going to do with this man??!! (Thank God he didn't actually ask her that!)

Today we had another big night- we got to meet up with E & E from Finding Joy in Every Journey again! We had dinner at a nice Cuban restaurant in our area, after their big DA in NY. (They received great news, but I'll let her share this with you.) Just like our first meet-up, tonight was full of great conversation. I just hope I didn't talk TOO much (I tend to do that). Sorry guys!

While at dinner, DH reminded me of a "sign" we received a few days ago. I had totally forgotten about it. While we were up in NH, we were driving back to the house from the mountain, and noticed a ton of people pulling their cars over and staring up into the sky. Some people had serious camera equipment out. We thought, wth, is there a solar eclipse today? So we pulled over, asked around, and found out there was a hawk-owl in the big oak tree. Apparently hawk-owls are extremely rare, since they are primarily arctic birds, sometimes found in Canada. It was pretty wild.

The next day, DH was getting ready to go to work and let the dogs out. He heard a huge commotion from a flock of crows in the big tree outside, looked up, and saw that they were "squawking" at a hawk! (He was sitting on a low branch, refusing to leave, lol!)

Later, while driving home from a job site (he's a contractor), and I swear, I'm not making this up, he saw another hawk sitting in an industrial park. Just SITTING there, staring at the passing cars.

When he came home, he brought over one of his mother's "New Age-y" books (she's very New Age), about Medicine Cards. Medicine cards are like Tarot cards, but they have animals on them and each animal signifies something. So he looked up Hawk, and this is what it said:

"Hawk: Messenger. Hawk medicine teaches you to be observant, to look at your surroundings. Observe the obvious in everything you do. Life is sending you signals...
If you pulled the Hawk card, then right now a clue about the magic of life is being brought to you...
The Ancients recognized this magnificent bird of prey as a messenger bringing tidings to their Earth Walk from the world of the grandfathers and grandmothers who lived before them. If Hawk were to magically cry, it was a sign to beware or be aware. The cry could mark the coming of a warring tribe, the birth of a child, or the celebration of counting coup. Hawk's cry signalled the need for the beholder to heighten awareness and receive a message."

How freaky is that? And the fact that there were THREE hawk sitings, all right before I found out that I had THREE follicles rupture? Very coincidental.

To end on a sillier note, DH had to pick up another Rx for me today- vaginal suppositories to hopefully once and for all KICK my post-Peak pasty problem. (Like that alliteration there?) I take them every day until AF arrives, or a + test... (which is so weird to even think about, but I'm trying to be more hopeful and positive this month)...
As he was driving back from the pharmacy with them, he got a fire call and had to drive over to the fire house, put on his gear, etc. (all with the suppositories in his pocket). Apparently they fell out of his pocket when he was putting his gear on, and when they got back to the fire house, a fellow firefighter asks DH, "So, how's your vagina?" He was mortified! And to make matters worse (I guess in an effort to not embarass ME) he tells the guy, "Oh yeah, I had to pick those up for my MOM." LMAO, who would have their SON pick up their vaginal suppositories??!!!

8 comments:

Life In Mazes said...

Love the hawk story! So funny about the meds!!! I am praying that you have a very special suprise and blessing on the way!

Sew said...

What a wild new agey story! Silly girl, Pull my taro card! ;) hahaha

I am glad FJIEJ got good news I hope her blog is updated.

That story about the vaggey supp. is hilarious!!

Thanks for your email! ;) I do freak out but it's more of a screaming laughing anything else happen WTF kind of voice????!!!! :)

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

Seriously laughing out loud here!!! And the hawk sitings sound pretty cool. :)

JellyBelly said...

that's so funny!!!! for his mom! ha ha!!

we see hawks all the time when visit my father-in-law's place in the country. my hubby is just fascinated with them! i hope that all the sightings signal something good coming!

Vent-ilation said...

That was hysterical -- the comment about "how much for the baby?" and then the suppositories! ha ha ha... The hawk thing gave me goosebumps!

prayerfuljourney said...

Oh gosh...I got a kick out of your husband's story. I just started the suppositories last night. Ugh! I got mine from Kubat's compounding pharm in NE. My Napro dr uses that pharm because they work with Dr. Hilgers. So....I'm wondering if this will do the trick!! Us suppository girls need to pray. I hope they work for you too. Let me know your side effects, if any. Blessings.

prayerfuljourney said...

Also, I wonder how the suppositories will change my charting. hhmmmmm?????

Hafsa said...

Oh. My. Word. That story is fuuny. What a good husband to put himself on the line to save you the embarassment.