Friday, January 30, 2009

"...We're gonna have to get our stories straight."

This is what DH just said to me, as we sat on the couch and I told him that during a homestudy, the couple is interviewed together and then one-on-one.

He almost made me pee my pants!!

Once I calmed down, we started envisioning the one-on-one interviews, and in our minds, it played out much like an episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent. The "good" social worker would be telling DH to take his time, offering him a glass of water or coffee... and then the "bad" social worker would enter, bang her hand on the table, and tell him, "The jig is up! Your wife just told us about your disciplinary action with the dogs. We know the truth, it's time to come clean!"

And then in the midst of my laughter, I suddenly freaked out! OMG, these people can determine whether or not we can be parents!!! How unfair is that? There are people having kids every day, all over the world, and they never need anyone's ok to do it (even though in many cases, maybe they should), but someone actually has the ability to give me or take away my life's greatest dream???!!!

Breathe.

This is a scary thought.

Speaking of stress-inducers, I just filled out the questionnaire that PPVI sent me for the adrenal reserve study. (If Dr. H thinks I qualify, I'll start taking a low dose of Hydrocort to help with diminished adrenal reserve.) All of the questions were about "Does this stress you out? How about this?" and then they started asking about patterns, like, "Do you find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning, and find yourself not able to until about 10:00am?" Uh, yes. "Do you constantly feel tired, and no amount of sleep or napping relinquishes it?" Yup. By the end of the survey, I was sufficiently stressed out. Not only had I learned how stressed I was, but also how it has been affecting my energy and health. Hurry up and score this thing, Dr. H, 'cuz something tells me I'll be needing that Hydrocort. Throw in some Valium while you're at it.

12 comments:

Life In Mazes said...

That is so cute. I love that you & your husband laughed about this. I can just imagine how scary it can be to imagine what questions they will be asking you. I think that the Holy Spirit will give you both the words to speak. I also think that the right social worker will be working with you and that they are people who want to find loving couples for waiting children! They will fall in love with you both!
Stress! That one word describes my day today. I don't know how not to stress these days. Funny you should mention that survey bc I spoke to the nurses at PPVI today and explained the I am still on day 21 w/ fertile cm. I asked her if this could be stress! Most probably was the answer. We will see! Hope there is some answers that abound when he is able to review your survey.

Hafsa said...

lmao, the good cop, bad cop routine. Love It!

Sew said...

Are you kidding!? TCIE Adrenal deficiency? (SP)I never knew that about you! Besides being D.W. what else can we throw in there???

I was reading some of the jobs available off the website and one is for a cosmetic surgery place. Hahahahaha Can you imagine getting botox at lunch! That might work instead of blogging!

That is crazy to think of the adoption like that....Your social worker can deem you necessary! Hey just take one of the octuplets!? What is going on there!??

prayerfuljourney said...

I wouldn't stress out the homestudy. It's just a formality. Boy, if all parents had to fill that paperwork out, I think the world would be a different place. I personally think some parents need a license. LOL!
Oh, I don't know if I heard it right on the news last night,,,,but that mother of the octuplets has six other children and she's a single mom! Criminey! I heard that IF Specs have to work and make sure multiple births like this don't happen. What? I think too many IF dr's are playing God and God may just be playing back. Hmmmm....Many blessings to all!

LifeHopes said...

Oh my gosh that is hilarious!!!

Yeah, we better get our stories straight, too, since that is probably in our future (the separate interviews).

I know exactly what you mean about how unfair it is we have to go through all of this to be "approved".

I guess there's no other way, right??

LifeHopes said...

Oh I forgot to answer your question from my blog.

We are doing our homestudy with a homestudy agency. This means they only do adoption homestudies. They have lots of connections in the adoption world since that's all they do, and they are good to give unbiased feedback to us regarding people's experiences with different agencies.

We decided to go with them because we weren't sure whether we were going to do an agency adoption or a private one. (with private we'd have to find the birthmother ourselves). Things are still up in the air, but I just decided to go ahead and get this homestudy out of the way. In the end, we'll end up with approval for a domestic or international one, and the approval works with any agency we end up choosing. (that probably makes NO sense!!! I am not doing a good job explaining things!)

LifeHopes said...

What I forgot to say there is that our homestudy agency does NOT do any adoption referrals or placements, just the homestudy part.

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

OK, I think I get it! That sounds like a good plan. I looked into a law center that did things similarly to that (they can advertise your profile with all agencies, and even at crisis pg centers, etc.) - - but they got back to me by email saying that due to changing adoption laws they couldn't help me in my state of residence at this time...??? But then yesterday at work they called me and starting asking all kinds of demographic info for me and DH. I said, wait, what agency are you again? She said she'd have to check into that email I received, but in the meantime they were sending me an info packet...??? I am so utterly confused by this whole thing!!

Find joy in every journey said...

LOL at you and your DH! Glad you can see the funny side if of the stressful things. I hope you are approved for the adrenal study stuff, I am very interested!

Stacy said...

I will be praying for you as you start this journey - that God would open or close doors and guide you every step of the way.
If you have any questions at any point (although our experience was very different from the norm) I'd love to answer them. We did our home study questioning together - a lot of questions and very draining so let us know when you get to that point so we can be praying! It's worth it!!

Meridith said...

How do I get in on the adrenal reserve study?? You just described me perfectly!!

Have you read the book "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress ___" (my mind just went blank)... anyways, it is really good and has a ton of information about natural ways to improve adrenal function. Just thought I'd recommend it! :)

lowly said...

you guys will do awesome. I have some real close friends who have adopted and they are sooooooo happy!
I stopped by to let you know I added you to my bloglist!