Wednesday, January 14, 2009

90210

Oh, to be a character in silly, naive, misinformed Beverly Hills 90210. (The original, not that "New" crap.)

I'm watching one of my favorite (note sarcasm) episodes right now. The one where Kelly thinks she's pregnant. Well, as it turns out, she was pregnant, and her period was actually an early miscarriage. When she goes to the Dr, they tell her they'd like to "run more tests," she goes back the next day to discover that the tests have revealed she has endometriosis. The clincher? She may never be able to have children.

First of all, WHERE is this Dr, and where does she practice?? Could someone please sign me up, because I would LOVE to see what kind of "test" she ran in the back room for all of 5 minutes that yielded a diagnosis of endometriosis! And then to deduct from that oh-so-ominous diagnosis that she is permanently infertile? Wow!! (Maybe it was a psychic in Dr's disguise?)

The thing that is really upsetting me is not how stupid this episode, nay, this show is. I love how stupid it is, to be perfectly honest. The stupid is what makes it soooo fun to watch :) No, rather, it's the fact that I shouldn't KNOW how insane and un-realistic that scene is. I should, like the rest of the 90210-lovers, watch in ignorant bliss as my favorite characters get stabbed, mugged, blackmailed, cheated on, and told they can never have children, and still come out alive and kicking on the other side.

But, no. Instead I now know more than cheesy soap opera writers about the workings of the female reproductive system.

I start prometrium tomorrow, at P+3, until P+12. The last 2 cycles, my post-Peak phase was on the shorter side (9 and 11 days), so I just wanted to be cautious. I have a feeling this will be one of my LONGEST 2WWs...

9 comments:

Hafsa said...

ooh we'll be prometrium sisters in crime :)

Love the old episodes of BH, hate the new ones. I had to stop watching bc DH would give me dirty looks and comment on how trashy they were lol

Vent-ilation said...

If it's any consolation, Kelly does have a (biological) child on the new ones. Dylan's the dad! So I guess she wasn't permanently infertile. But now, Brenda can't have kids!!! I think she had fibroids or something equally ridiculously explained.

Yes, I watch the new and old episodes. And I'm psyched because Donna Martin is supposed to making an appearance soon. Everyone has a vice.. one of mine is BH.

prayerfuljourney said...

What do ya know...I'm starting my prometrium pills tomorrow too. I'll be at p + 3 and I have to take them for ten days. My post peak phase on them has been 13 days the first month and last month I made it to P15! I didn't feel too well last month.......so I'm hoping that was a fluke and I'll feel better this month. I'm back to subbing and I don't want to have to put myself out of work for this. But if I have to, then I have too. I guess that is just one of the cons to infertilty meds. Good luck with your regiman. God bless.

JellyBelly said...

oh man! i should love to beverly hills so i can take that same test! i wouldn't have to have the lap!!! ;)

prayerfuljourney said...

I used to love 90210 but haven't watched a rerun or the new stuff at all. I did watch Tori Spellings show on the Oxygen channel..."Tori and Dean" something like that. I found it amusing. I must admit...I am a Reality TV freak. I love American Idol and I watch Little People, Big World and the Discovery Health Channel a lot. I do watch TLC and watch women having babies. My husband doesn't understand how I can watch that...I just do. It just doesn't bother me. I know my situation of child birth (God Willing) will be different.

Faithful Infertile said...

Love the old 90210... watched the new 90210 once & HATED it. And you're right, you shouldn't have to know so much about the female reproductive system. IF blows.

I'm pulling for ya this cycle! :) Keep us posted!!!

LifeHopes said...

I often wonder why I have to know so much and practically everyone else in my life only knows what its like to get pregnant, have morning sickness, have a baby, then deal with parenting issues.

It sure makes it hard to explain where we are at in the whole process when someone doesn't even know what progesterone is!

I guess we are part of the "Chosen Few." :):) Praying for you this cycle!

tiffany said...

This is probably a stupid question, but how do they diagnose endometriosis? I'm having a hysteroscopy next week to remove a uterine polop, and I'm wondering if they can see anything then?? I don't have painful periods or anything like that, but I'm just trying to cover all my bases....

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

Tiffany,
I think the only way to diagnose endo is through a laparoscopy. I had my hysteroscopy at the same time as my lap, so I'm not sure if it's all the same incision(??)- and maybe they can check while they're in there for you.
I'll keep you in my prayers for a successful hysteroscopy!