Sunday, December 7, 2008

What's in a Name...

that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet?

Apparently, my name is my downfall. While working on a bunch of data entry for my Dr's office, I saw my own first name come up more times than I can even remember. These patients were all suffering from IF or recurrent m/c. I do understand that my name was a popular one in my generation (the generation that is now TTC), BUT, there were many MORE popular names than mine in my classes in HS and college, like Sarah, Megan (and all it's different spellings), Allison, Emily, etc. I actually never had another girl with my name in any of my classes. Ever! My point is not that my name is unique, it certainly isn't. BUT, why are the majority of my Dr's IF patients named this name??? Doesn't anyone else find that a bit odd?

I shared this with my Dr as I was doing the data entry, and she thought it was somewhat coincidental... until we just added the most recent 2 participants in the research study for IF that she is conducting... and guess what? They BOTH have my name! When she saw that, she started laughing and said, "I guess you're right!"

So. Thanks a lot, Mom. My Dad wanted Erica. I don't particularly like Erica, but I haven't entered data for any Ericas with IF or m/c.

On a secondary note, DH and I decorated the tree last night. After Christmas last year, my sister gave us a bunch of her Christmas ornaments, all shiny blue balls, that she no longer uses. (One year she did a theme of just blue and silver decorations.) So we decided to hang just the blue shiny balls this year, along with the other ornaments. And as we worked, with Christmas carols in the background, DH non-chalantly said,

"I guess this is appropriate."

"What?" I asked.

"Well, we're hanging just the blue balls. And it's going to be a blue ball Christmas."

And that's my husband.

10 comments:

Life In Mazes said...

The name thing is completely WILD. My name is very popular, in fact, after I married my husband, his brother married my sister in law who shares my name. So now, I am known as Jessy's Crystal. No fun at all! I think Rose is a beautiful name and it immediately made me think about my favorite saint, St. Therese of the Little Way!
By the way, your husband's joke about the blue balls made me laugh out loud!! Thank goodness for good sense of humors! I bet your tree looks amazing!

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

Rose is my Grandma's name!... mine is in the post below this one (which I'll be removing sometime soon, so as to remain fairly anonymous).

Sew Infertile said...

Oh my gosh, could you just eat the little Epoilite girl! What a gorgeous baby! I can't get over it! ;)

That is crazy about your name....Your husband sounds just like mine! That is hilarious!

Beth said...

Blue Balls!!! That is hilarious!

Vent-ilation said...

I started laughing before you finished the story... just the part about you hanging the blue balls and my mind immediately went back to being 12 years old (or whatever age it was when you first start laughing at stuff like that). LOL! I'm so glad that's where you were going with it!! I don't feel so bad for thinking it!

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

Even funnier still since DH and I aren't allowed to have sex until late January... it literally WILL be a blue ball Christmas at our house!

LifeHopes said...

Oh my gosh I am laughing OUT LOUD! And so is P!!!

You crack me up.

Sew Infertile said...

I will be joining you in the blue ball Christmas! :) Maybe I should hang blue balls on our tree too! Just for spite! :)

mrsblondies said...

The name thing is very funny. I don't know a lot of people with your first name in their twenties and thirties, so it's kind of crazy how many are at your dr.'s practice for fertility issues. I love the blue ball Christmas tree comment. We actually do red, white and blue, so we have blue balls on our Christmas tree too.

Stacia said...

LMAO!! Your DH is such a perfect fit for you.. such a smarta**! lol ;) (Oh, and I will now be calling you Erica from here on out! lol Who'da thought your name would be bad luck? Totally unfair Mom! lol)