Friday, November 21, 2008

Presenting, my New and Improved Uterus!

Well, now my uterus is so clean you can eat off of it. Though I'm not quite sure you want to. But good to know it's now an option, anyway.

I've just completed my 10-day uterine washes (lavages, since they like to pretend it's a fancy French procedure or something), and 12 days of IV antibiotics. DH finishes his high dose of oral antibiotics on Sunday, and he finished his 10 prostate injections today. Woo Hoo! We are now beginning Phase II: 2 months of oral antibiotics (lower dose, but still probably enough to clean dozens of horse's uteruses... uteri? Whatever.)

The best news? I was concerned that we may be out of the game for a long time. I had heard from other Dr. Toth patients that it can take up to 9 months for the immune system to fully recuperate after the treatment, and was thinking he would tell us to wait 9 months. Well, it DOES take up to 9 months to fully recuperate, BUT there is no harm or disadvantage to TTC before the 9 months. Basically, he just said that with each passing month the chances get better and better up to 9 months (after finishing orals). Sooooo....??? The BIG NEWS of the day is that we can TTC again after our orals, at the end of January!! YIPPEE!!!! I feel like I got an early Christmas present when he told us this!

He did recommend a post-coital test in January, and an HSG, though the former is more important since I've already done 2 HSGs fairly recently (one selective which I know unblocked the partial blockages that the other showed I "didn't" have). He also wants me to have an u/s of the secretory-phase endometrium, to check that the lining is nice and thick, and 3 layers deep. Then? We'll have all of our ducks lined up, and KNOW that nothing is standing in our way! (OK, now I have that cheesy 80's song in my head, "Nothing's gonna stop us now." That song is almost as bad as the movie it is highlighted in, Mannequin. Andrew McCarthy, WHAT were you thinking?)

I am so incredibly STOKED right now! I mean, here I was thinking I'd have to wait until November of next year!! This fear was coupled with the fact that we recently discovered my Grandma's colon cancer is back, and more aggressive this time around. We know there's no getting rid of it this time, and now we are just buying her time. It's been a rough few days around here, but on top of everything I was feeling so horrible that I may not be able to show her the miracle she's been praying so hard for, which she specifically wanted to stay on this Earth to see. (See my earlier blog about Grandma.)

But she is out of the hospital and back home today, after a pretty painful procedure getting her stint (sp?) put in her kidney through her back. (They couldn't go in through the front because the cancer spread to her bladder and was causing so much bleeding when they tried.) She is still sounding strong and like herself. Her exact words when I called to speak to her today were, "Well... I guess God never gives us what we can't handle." She is truly amazing. Please say a prayer for her health for me. Thank you.

And the best part of my evening still remains... I get to SHOWER tonight!! I've been taking baths, and washing my hair like every other day (it's quite the undertaking with only 1 free arm that can get wet, let me tell you). Not that I need to bathe at all, since I'm so loaded up on antibiotics I could probably jump in the East River and it would turn crystal clear. Seriously, I SMELL like antibiotics. I'm oozing it out of every orifice at this point. I am no longer a dirty whore. I am a clean whore. And don't you forget it.

13 comments:

LifeHopes said...

I am so sorry about your grandmother's diagnosis.

I will remember her in my prayers. She reminds me of my great uncle, who recently passed -- he was so incredibly brave throughout it all. He kept saying, "You do what you gotta do."

And CONGRATS on being able to get started early ttc!!!!

We are all getting to where we need to be, bit by bit!!!! It's SO exciting! Wouldn't it be great if we all start getting BFP after BFP one right after the next??? How cool would that be??? It could happen!

allyouwhohope said...

That is such good news! I am so happy for you! I can't imagine what the last couple weeks has been like for you.

And I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Her words are inspirational, and something I need to remember more myself.

Sew Infertile said...

Yay!!!!! Congratulations to clean whores!!! I am a clean whore now too, after days of whore baths! ;)

I am so sorry to hear about grandma's diagnosis, but what an instrument of strength in your life!

I love the thought of BFP one right after the other, we are all getting better one right after another! That would be so cool!!!

Hafsa said...

haha you're a riot! Your blogs are the best! I'm glad that you can start TTC soon and have a good chance of pg perhaps really soon :)

andnotbysight said...

Great news on the TTC front! Very cool!

And I'll be praying for your grandma, too!

mrsblondies said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I'll keep her in my prayers.

I am glad to hear about your new and improved uterus and being able to TTC soon.

Sew Infertile said...

After all of those antibiotics, I bet your skin is crystal clear! That is one thing I noticed in the hospital that my skin was crystal clear! It's amazing! :)

Sew Infertile said...

You know what I just thought of? We can't ttc for 3 months, but that doesn't mean we have to abstain right? Or does it? Or can I use CrMS to coitus during my non-fertile time. Or is it too risky? I told my husband I was only going to wear my engagment ring since we have to act like we are engaged for the next 3 months! :) Are you coitusing on your non-fertile days. Or no TTC, means no TTC?

LifeHopes said...

Sew Infertile and TCIE:
I don't understand why you have to wait to ttc -- what does it hurt?
I mean, are your docs worried you will conceive and there would be problems? Or that it would disrupt a healing process .... I just was curious.

This_Cross_I_Embrace said...

Well, I think the 2 situations are completely different. I was told not to TTC after surgery, too. But I was told to not have unprotected intercourse until I get the go ahead after this latest treatment. (And obviously as a Catholic, no unprotected intercourse = no intercourse at all.) The reasoning for me is because we have this nasty infection which we want to eradicate as completely as possible. If we were to start having sex now, we can possibly start passing it back and forth again (and each time it is passed back and forth it grows stronger and more resistant). So now would not be a good time to have any sex whatsoever for us.

For Sew Infertile, I would ask your Dr if you can use CrMS to avoid, or if your discharge instructions are specifically not to have sex at all. I know that after some procedures, like cervical hyfrecation, my NaPro Dr will ask people to abstain completely, not just because it's not the safest time to conceive, but because a) she doesn't want there to be anything in the vagina that may introduce bacteria, and b) the procedure itself can alter the woman's charts so much that it may be difficult for her to navigate when are her true fertile days and true infertile days. The mucus patterns can be drastically altered.
As your Practitioner, Sew Infertile, I would say to definately abstain this cycle (of the surgery), and as for next month ask your Dr if you can use infertile days or need to abstain altogether.

eilyn said...

I'm happy to hear of your good news!!!
I will keep your grandma in my prayers.

Faithful Infertile said...

I am so happy that is all over for you! I can't wait for you to start TTC. :)

And, I'm so glad you were finally able to take a shower. I could smell you all the way in Kansas. Ha ha!!!

I'm saying extra prayer's for you grandma.

Have a great Turkey Day!

Sew Infertile said...

Oh well after all of this, I am not in the mood for the next 3 months! Thanks! :) hahahahahaha