Here's the update on Dr. Toth in NY. (I was being all secretive with the name for some reason, but he's actually really well known and has written books on his research.)
I called his office Monday morning, and the secretary tells me right off the bat "He doesn't accept insurance, and all payment is due in full at the 1st appt." Hm, ok. So how much is it? "$1800 to run all of the tests." Yowsa. So, that includes all of the tests for infection, etc. that affect fertility? "Oh is this for infertility? Then he recommends you have DH get tested, too. That's $1500." Yikes! Um, sure let me make an appt with you on robot-mode as my mind recuperates from the shock "($3,300)... Oct 9th?($3,300) Yeah, ok ($3,300), that'll work... uh huh ($3,300)." Click. Hold on, WHAT??!!
I spoke with DH and he was definitely against getting tested. He thought there was no need since we already know his issue is morphology, but not anything bad enough to impede pregnancy. Plus, he was just on a week's dose of antibiotics for an infection, so he's "all good." I kept telling him that we wouldn't be walking into Dr. Toth's office, paying $3,300, getting some blood drawn, and sent on our way. I assured him there must be more to it than that; cultures, biopsies, etc. Then again, I wasn't sure if DH really did need to do this RIGHT NOW, since we knew that I was the one with the symptoms of infection. I decide to call Dr. Hilgers' nurses and see what he recommended.
They got back to me a day later to say that yes, he does prefer we both get checked out with Dr. Toth. Infections of this nature can be passed back and forth, apparently. So, basically, we have no choice but to shell out... $3,300.
I can't put a pricetag on my baby. Or, for that matter, on my fertility. Is it worth $3,300? Absolutely. But what comes next? I can only imagine (in nightmares, mostly) how much treatment will cost if this is how much the testing costs! And then what if we run out of savings? I really have to pray that God provides for us this month. It helps to remember how concerned we were about the surgery costs in April, and then only had to pay just under $1,400 TOTAL (for a surgery that ran $22,000, with insurance of $2,500 ded. and 20% above ded)!! God TRULY provided for us then, and I really hope He shows us a way to make this work now.
I know it's such a trivial thing to pray about, but would you please keep us in your prayers for this situation? Pray that we find some way to afford treatment after the testing is done. Jesus, I trust You :)